Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hard feed recommendations for native foals  (Read 2372 times)

minibn

• Joined Jun 2012
Hard feed recommendations for native foals
« on: October 22, 2016, 06:55:50 pm »
Hi,

I have finally collected my Dartmoor hill pony foal, which actually turned into foals. So I now have a little colt and filly. They are around 6 months old. Known as Bramble and Tiny Tim. Tim got his name, as he has come from a young mother and although she has done as good a job as possible, he is a little on the poor side.

They have been wormed, vaccinated etc already.

Does anyone have any recommendations on hard feed for them? I want to make sure they are getting everything they need, but as natives I don't want to over do it. They will be out in the day and in at night. They have as much hay as they will eat to.

Any advice welcomed.

Thanks for reading

Emily

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Hard feed recommendations for native foals
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 08:32:36 am »
I would just feed a balancer and forage.  I tend to use suregrow at half the recommended rate for natives as it is formulated for warmbloods.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 09:14:44 am »
I was wondering if you had collected your little one minibn and lo and behold one became two!As with all youngstock feeding at this age is really important to give them a good start. I agree with the advice given. I am sure you will soon see a change.

We need piccies!!!

muddypuddle

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 10:35:57 am »
If they have good access to pasture and forage then they shouldn't need a concentrate really. As Scarlet Dragon said, they live off air and water. If you want to put a bit of weight on Fibre beet (on cold days I use warm water) and just regular veg oil and ad lib hay. They have been wormed too so you should notice a difference soon. Enjoy them  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS