Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How much do you sell your lamb for?  (Read 16102 times)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: How much do you sell your lamb for?
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2016, 02:00:29 pm »
Ad lib cake... blimey... even my tame lamb crew don't get ad lib after the first 6 weeks of life ! daily feeds maybe but not ad lib. It's best to not put a set date on when they are going off- handle them throughout the time they are with you and feel their condition, some may be ready earlier than others. We just sent our last set of lambs off 2 weeks ago but they were Dorset x mule lambs so take a little longer to finish than suff or texel crosses which if we have any are normally are gone by early September.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2016, 02:44:14 pm »
Well, at least you're not in Hampshire feeding ad lib cake!  Fingers crossed they won't be too fatty :fc:.  If it's just for your own use it won't matter so much anyway - you can cut the fat off when you eat it. 

See what the butcher says, but you might decide to have more sausages, mince and diced if they are very fat.  Although long slow cooked pot roast of a fatty cut ... :yum:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2016, 11:00:26 am »
If my Southdowns were on ad lib cake they'd struggle to get through an 8ft gate by now.  Also, on your costs, it's customary to amortise (gradually write off start up costs for capital items, in this case kit) over a number of years rather than include it all in the first year costs. 

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2016, 04:07:55 pm »
That's the trouble Sally on the advice of my sheep farmer neighbour they were on more or less adlib cake, probably eating 750g per day and the grass was very lush......
.... was he selling you the cake?  :innocent:
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS