Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What's going on in your veg plot at the moment?  (Read 22544 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: What's going on in your veg plot at the moment?
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2017, 02:55:18 pm »
First sowing today for the propagator - sweet and chilli peppers, plus having another go with aubergines (my favourite summer vegetable and I don't like buying vegetables in the summer...). Just got all my seed orders through last week and am currently sorting them into monthly see boxes.

Will tomorrow put in my order for a Keder greenhouse - it's long been on my list and we finally have decided to go for it... am quite excited! Although it is likely that this summer the polytunnel will still be them main indoor growing space

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2017, 02:59:50 pm »

MUD!! :innocent:
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2017, 04:50:34 pm »
We've still got a few bits in to see us through to spring. leeks, parsnips, kale, carrots, cabbages and salad.
I've just sown some mangetout for the polytunnel and broad beans for outside, into deep rooters in the house. Hoping they'll catch up with my outdoor showings from last Nov so I can plug the gaps created by hungry critters.
Looking forward to the purple sprouting broccoli in a couple of months time and the Autumn planted onions and garlic are doing well.
I'd love to get on with a bit of weeding but the ground is either too heavy from rain or frozen...

TracyC

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2017, 09:37:24 am »
Lol @ mud.
Interesting way to streilise the greenhouse :D 
We too have PSB ready in a couple of months.  I can't wait!
Now obviously I didn't grow these, but am getting Sevilles to make marmalade with today :)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2017, 12:25:35 pm »

Now obviously I didn't grow these, but am getting Sevilles to make marmalade with today :)

Not obviously  ;D ... I grew an orange tree from a pip a a standard. The first year it fruited i figured I was going to make my fortune.. a dozen tiny oranges the sze of walnuts and so sweet. I had plans to clone the tree and sell whole candid orange cake decorations. The next year, full of anticipation it grew more than a kilo of small oranges... heck they were seriously bitter and ended up marmaladed and a really, really strong flavour. It's never fruited since (7yrs?)... probably 'cos it's now potbound and i couldn't manage a larger pot for gettign it into the citrus house over winter. I've tried severe pruning to encourage fruit etc. Perhaps one day i'll do cuttings.

Now lemons... well this is my tree 2 years ago..

TracyC

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2017, 09:16:48 am »
Well blow me down with a feather!  I am going to give it a go! 
The Seville's weren't in, so couldn't get started.  I did get some mangoes for chutney though, don't tell me you have a mango tree too? :D

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2017, 09:29:02 am »
I've only tried to germinate a couple fo mango seeds and failed..possibly they don;t get to ripen on the tree enough before export..or just wrong conditions. They are a multiembryonic seed (if memory serves) and should grow true to type rather than needing grafting. If you've ever seen a mangoe tree fruiting they really hang as long heavy strands.
I have tried lychee - which germinated but died over winter in a conservatory - you'ld really have to keep the night time heat up. I've also failed with breadfruit.. I brought some root cuttings back once and they didn't take .. smuggling a whole young tree would be harder to do.
Bananas I have grown and pineapple. I do have limes and grapefruit.. get plenty limes but the grapefruit rootstock it was grafted on underperforms.. I get the odd one only. Kumquat only fruited once and my sweet orange tree got diseased and died. It was reliable and regular.
Citrus is pretty hardy.. just frost free will do but they can take a degree or two of frost.. get rare snow in the florida groves and it just knocks them back rather than killing them. Heating for the more tender exotics just got too expensive to bother but I did ave a client growing coffee in her conservatory..it was like a sweatbox in there.

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2017, 10:21:08 am »
I'm mostly pruning apple trees at the moment; some very old ones that are seriously neglected. I have a few spinach, winter lettuces and pak choi seedlings on the go and I just put in my first aubergine seeds on heat to try and get ahead - last year they were USELESS.

This year I'm going to really try and pay a lot of attention to the veggie patch; mostly as a way to bring in some extra income.

TracyC

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2017, 11:32:50 am »
Thank you for the pruning reminder!

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2017, 10:25:31 am »
Lovely lemons! Outside we have garlic and shallots growing and whatever kale which hasn't been shredded by the gales and undercover we have set Rocket first early tatties, overwintering rocket, raddiccio, leaf beet, spring cabbage and early purple sprouting broccoli. But nothing is of any size to be eaten just yet.
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

TracyC

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2017, 11:11:45 am »
I've sown  tomatoes, cauliflower, cabbage, peppers, chillis, PSB, aubergine and corn salad over the last week or so.  Some heated, some in the house accordingly.  Really excited about it.  I'll probably lose some due to being leggy but that's ok, I prefer to try and fail than wonder as I have plenty of seeds.
I've also just ordered some sunflower seeds which as it is now February, I can say I will put in next month :)  In fact, I may start a few under glass just to try them.
Tatties are chitting on the north facing windowsill.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2017, 03:25:54 pm »
We've covered an area over to make our outdoor beds, digging over a bed in the polytunnel, putting some manure down in our future berry area and getting ready to kick some new seeds off.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2017, 05:41:30 pm »
I've dug around half of the allotment on Saturday! Just before the rain started!!!
My polytunnel arrived yesterday! So happy!
Bought some seeds over the weekend.
Should I start planting tomatoes and aubergines now?
Anything else I should start now?
After that I will start cabbage and cauliflower
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2017, 09:10:35 pm »
Awaiting the delivery of 36 asparagus crowns to join the plants already in place. Ground prepared and has been covered in black plastic since the middle of last summer so that I can get it as clean as possible before planting.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS