Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hen with swollen foot  (Read 2552 times)

Daleswoman

• Joined Jan 2015
Hen with swollen foot
« on: October 17, 2016, 09:54:03 pm »
One of my Warren layers was off her feet today and on inspection I found that one of her feet is very swollen underneath. I don't think it's bumblefoot, as descriptions seem to suggest there would be a black scab or mark showing where the foot had been injured. There is no sign of injury that I can see, but the swelling is hard and seemed hot, which indicates an infection to me so I wonder if there is a puncture wound or a small cut that is hidden by the swelling.  I can't see any sign of mites or scaly leg.

I've sprayed the foot with blue spray. She is eating and drinking but obviously in some pain when she tries to walk.

Any ideas what it might be, what else I could do? Am thinking bathe in hottish water tomorrow (that was our vet's treatment for abscesses in cats) to try and draw out any infection?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Hen with swollen foot
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 09:31:29 am »
How high is her perch?  Is she a large fowl?  Bumblefoot often occurs due to heavy birds making hard landings. 

Jon Feather

• Joined Jun 2015
  • South West Cumbria
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 10:11:48 am »
I have only had bumblefoot once in a bird and that was a quail.  There was not black mark or scab but the underside of the foot was very swollen and hard: can't remember of it was hot or not.
Antibiotics from the vet did nothing.  In the end I cut the underside of the foot and squeezed out a large lump of matter, applied some antiseptic cream and bandaged her up.  She was fine in no time.
Good luck.

Daleswoman

• Joined Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 09:15:24 pm »
Thanks for the replies :)

Well this morning I could see a black scab under her foot! Bathed it in hot (not too hot!) salt water, swabbed with hibiscrub and decided to help it along with a sterilised blade. Only blood came out, no pus (yet) but will continue bathing and gentle squeezing for a few days. Finished off with antibiotic spray, wrapped in micropore tape and settled her in an isolation pen with clean bedding. Hopefully this routine will sort it out - unless anyone has any other ideas?

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 05:25:07 pm »
Basically what we do Daleswoman. We don't interfere with bumble foot unless a swelling develops- we have plenty with scabs because the ground is bad here. Always a week of treatment is enough but now we've got one that is only now improving after three months and then a 0.5mL shot of cod liver oil to boost her immune system. She is 6 years old now though.

As Jon said, antibiotics are useless and that also renders the eggs unusable for life. You have to be invasive and take the puss out. Carefully does it as they can 'bleed out' through a cut vein in the foot.

Daleswoman

• Joined Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 08:26:52 pm »
So I've been bathing daily, and wrapping in clean micropore tape. Today I sterilised a blade and re-opened the scab, and squeezed out some blood and a tiny bit of pus came out but nothing like I'd have expected. It clearly causes pain, although she is being very good about it and seems to enjoy her feet being in the hot water - she proper settles down into it. The lump is now soft, rather than rock hard, which I think is a good sign. She is still eating and drinking and is standing up and seems to be weight-bearing on that foot now, although can't walk far on it. I feel so sorry for her! I will just carry on until she gets either better or worse ... !

Izzy

• Joined May 2009
  • Stirlingshire
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 04:33:57 am »
I did the diy surgery option once. The pus had solidified and was not squeezable. So the warm foot baths sounds like a good idea if they are softening the lump. Good luck

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 03:08:10 pm »
Bumblefoot doesn't always disappear - sometimes the foot stays malformed.

Daleswoman

• Joined Jan 2015
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 07:27:38 pm »
That's interesting ... it's certainly not going down although the bathing seems to soften it and she likes it! I dunk both feet in a basin of fairly hot salt water and she settles down and sits in it quite happily for ages  :D

I'm not really bothered about the swelling, as long as she can put weight on the foot - she hops and hobbles round her little pen but can't scratch about or move very quickly. It is obviously painful for her to stand on it. She is well in herself, if she were poorly it would be an easy decision to cull her, but apart from the foot she's fine.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS