Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Purchasing goats  (Read 3588 times)

Seven Acres

• Joined Aug 2016
Purchasing goats
« on: October 17, 2016, 11:12:03 am »
Hi everyone,

My partner and I are thinking about purchasing some goats to raise for meat (never had goats before) though when looking around kids appear to be rather expensive with prices upwards of £80....? Can I ask if this is the average price for a kid? We have been looking at pigmy goats as we have heard that they produce good quality meat are hardier and they are obviously small than other breeds. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Purchasing goats
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 11:31:37 am »
Pygmies are mostly sold as pets and are therefore priced accordingly. As I have heard someone saying---- they don't even make decent gravy....

You are probably a bit late in the year, but in spring unwanted males from the dairy breeds (usually castrated by the breeder - if asked for by the buyer) can be available for a lot less money (for example from dairy herds, which obviously are only interested in female kids as herd replacements). Larger breeds - like Anglo Nubians - make good sized carcasses by 10 to 12 months but please be aware it is more expensive to feed goats than it is for sheep - goats will need concentrates as well as greenery and hay to grow well. Goats will also need a good shelter/goat shed and a good hay supply even in summer.

You can also look for Boer goats (or Boer cross bred kids), which will make a bigger carcass, but these ones are not that cheap, and most breeders will raise their own to slaughter weight.

Seven Acres

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 12:57:36 pm »
Oh ok, I had thought originally they were kept as pets but talking to people and Internet said otherwise...hmm ok that's food for thought, I had seen the boer goats but like you said they are expensive.

I'll have a look into your suggestion re the dairy goats, do you get much meat off them?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 01:32:31 pm »
I have had (from British Toggenburg males at 10 months) a deadweight of 24kgs (didn't record live weight), which turned into about 13kgs of meat (2 hindlegs on the bone at about 2 - 2.5kgs each), rest either cubed or minced). Probably not quite the same return as you would get on a lamb (texel or similar size) at that age, but really quite lean, and as I said needs concentrates and milk for longer than lamb would. Tastes however quite different to lamb - much nicer (but then I don't like lamb, prefer mutton).

I don't really know much about carcass sizes for Boers, but the bone/meat ratio should be better.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 01:36:56 pm »
You don't need a breed for meat ... cross breed males much cheaper.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 01:45:01 pm »
Goats of all ages and types have been good trade at our local market. Expensive? Or more than you want to pay?

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 02:15:54 pm »
Yes I think harmony may have a good question there ... what are you prepared to pay?  They will have cost money to produce ....  £50/£60 seemed to be price for crossbreed wethers when I was looking for ours
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Seven Acres

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 02:23:36 pm »
Ok, thanks.

With regard to my comment on expensive, I'm comparing it to the cost of our sheep. We purchased 6, 8 week old lambs for £35 each, they were more expensive than the lambs the previous year (3 days olds at £10 each) but we didn't have the bottle feeding etc so it's all relative.

When I've been looking at goats their prices vary, though pigmys are upwards of £70 and just looking at boer kids they are £100 plus....am I looking in the wrong place or is this the average price?

We really enjoy goat meat and it's something a little different but at that price to then rear on seems a little steep especially when you add concentrates etc  (more expensive then purchasing joints of goat which are around £15/kg?)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 02:31:52 pm by Seven Acres »

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 03:08:09 pm »
You might think about buying a couple of breeding nannies, expensive initially but you can then breed your own goats for meat and keep a nanny or two for breeding. (If you have the space of course)

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2016, 03:46:53 pm »
Ok, thanks.

With regard to my comment on expensive, I'm comparing it to the cost of our sheep. We purchased 6, 8 week old lambs for £35 each, they were more expensive than the lambs the previous year (3 days olds at £10 each) but we didn't have the bottle feeding etc so it's all relative.

When I've been looking at goats their prices vary, though pigmys are upwards of £70 and just looking at boer kids they are £100 plus
As explained, it costs more in milk and concentrates to rear a kid than a lamb so it will cost more to rear them to selling age which will be reflected in the price of them.
Sounds about right for prices, we would sell meat kids (Boer and crosses) for £100+ and for breeding stock it would be more.

Seven Acres

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 09:56:06 am »
Ok thank you :)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 10:05:38 am »
I rang my local goat dairy farm yesterday and they said they don't sell small numbers of goats. Only large quantities to other goat farms   :(
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 06:55:58 am »
Are you on fb, there were a couple of boer or boerx on a livestock sales group yesterday young females £60 each.
Wouldn't have thought pygmies much good for meat but dairy cross can be great, just had 18.75kg meat back from a 6 month kid.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2016, 09:41:30 am »
Whereabouts are you, Seven Acres. My neighbour keeps meat goats including several Boer. He may, only may, sell a nanny or two.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2016, 11:56:26 am »
Ask either on here (marketplace) or FB-goats for sale and wanted, in spring, you are more likely to pick something up then, not much about yet.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS