Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Barn conversion  (Read 3763 times)

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
Barn conversion
« on: October 16, 2016, 11:14:36 pm »
My local authority  have advised me that they consider my barn to be too small for residential development. They say that they would be willing to support ancillary accommodation.
If I used the permitted development rules to build onto the barn..do you think this might be a way of getting permission in the future.It is a brick built barn which adjoins my garden.
I have 12 acres .

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Barn conversion
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 11:05:49 am »
was the building in use for agriculture in 2013?
Are you in an AONB?

Class Q PD doesn't list minimum floor area afaik.

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 07:15:19 pm »
The barn has been used for agricultural pourposes since it was built...1900 and still is. We are not in an OANB .It is a jolly useful barn about 20ft x 15ft but very low. Could probably get it eventually by going to appeal but a lot of expense and wrangling .Just wondered if I built on the side of it for additional storage..would they take this additional space into account in years to come....if an application was made for a dwelling.

Black Sheep

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Briercliffe
    • Monk Hall Farm
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 07:58:53 pm »
As far as I understand it the Permitted Development rights for converting agricultural buildings into dwellings (Class Q) restrict you to the dimensions of the existing build. However as mentioned they don't seem to specify a minimum size. Since there are people who live in caravans (the touring type) that have a similar floor area to this then that should be a precedent you can refer to.

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 09:17:30 pm »
I understand that the permitted development rights are a temporary measure and are due to expire soon.

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 08:21:06 am »
i thought so too but haven't seen any definite dates recently when looking for someone else

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 02:41:45 pm »
Its obvious that your trying to circumvent planning law - why dont you come up straight and get someone on your side in the planning department?

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 02:42:36 pm »
Or just bloody do it and worry about it later?

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 09:14:29 pm »
my little experience in planning and agricultural barns is that they no longer want barns to look like dwellings.  Barns should stay like barns.  I dont think you have a chance at all.  I know plenty of people who have barns and one tiny one but there is no chance of extending when converting.  I wouldnt even consider going outside the main planning - The helicopters and satellites are hovering endlessly and locals will be shouting. I wouldnt consider this conversion at all. Building in the countryside and on agricultural land would be suicidal.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 02:08:02 pm »
and yet there are homes going up on green belt sites - mostly because they are 'off grid'!  Have you considered that?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2016, 09:52:13 pm »
What confuses me is the agricultural workers rules mean you can have 4 generations on the same farm....usually only paying 1 council tax.I have lost count of the number of mobile caravans/granny flats /garages with annex above all tucked away at the bottom of gardens in my locality.Another trick is to get permission for holiday let (my neigjbour is marketing newbuild as badger watch...holiday let.)Then in time he will claim no demand and apply for change of use and move his son in.Then there's the equine route which usually provides facilities for disabled children..the chicken farm and the septic tank business.I have been to quite a few planning committees and the disabled/granny flat usually gets most empathy.
I actually quite like my barn as it is....I just resent my local authority saying it is too small when the council itself is building affordable houses (not social housing) of the same size.....

SmallWelshBarn

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 09:18:23 am »
What is the over all volume of the floor space ? I have had a year long battle to increase by tiny barn by 80% in size. The matter was rejected by the planners but I managed to win at the committee stage.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS