Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Massage  (Read 2012 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Massage
« on: October 16, 2016, 07:14:16 pm »
Here is a question which has been bugging me for a week or 2 now...... I know that back massage's/chest/facial massages help to alleviate pressure and breathing difficulties in both animals and humans, especially newborn animals to help the fluid out of their lungs. My question is..... is it ok to have a back massage when you have a chest infection? Will it help to alleviate the pressure in the chest/back of the lungs as well as being on either traditional (herbal) meds (which are working btw) or on prescribed meds? Its just when I lie on my back I can feel the urge to cough more than when I lie on my side, do you think it would be advisable at all? I am thinking that it may help to bring more of the gunge up?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
Re: Massage
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 07:29:19 pm »
It 'can' be helpful, but there are some important caveats/points to note.
Massage can be applied at different depths/strengths so it is very important to make clear to the practitioner what you want to achieve through the massage - I would suggest that you ask for a drainage effect, ie lymphatic drainage - which is not very vigorous/deep/strong. The thoracic muscles will certainly gain a positive effect from a massage, which in turn will help your breathing/respiratory mechanics which will then have a positive lung clearing impact.
Having infections is an energy sapping condition - heavy duty massage is also energy sapping so if you have too vigorous a massage it can be detrimental as your system just doesn't have enough reserves to deal with the extra load so you can have a slump - just communicate properly with your practitioner.
I'm an osteopath and always reduce any treatment impact on my patients if they are also dealing with other issues (physical or mental/emotional/psychological)

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 07:30:00 am »
Previous post makes good points - as a massage therapist I'll add a couple more thoughts.

It is hard to say for individual cases as it depends on the state of your chest infection and impact on other systems.  But in general if you are beyond the stage of first infection and have no fever or other contraindications for massage then it MAY help as you suggest. 

Moderated pressure can be explored within the session, finding the level/depth you find useful and tolerate.  Everyone is different regardless of the infection - you may find superficial layers or lymphatic drainage enough to cope with or may find it 'ticklish' and unpleasant compared to a medium pressure, or simply unhelpful to clear the mucus. 

Strongly recommend you seek a massage therapist with either experience in remedial massage (often taught alongside sports massage but don't let that put you off!) or other health related experience/training rather than a beauty/hair salon trained masseuse as their training can be limited to fixed routines aimed at relaxation and you'd benefit from a more tailored session.

Assuming your therapist gives you the ok to treat, perhaps have a big box of tissues as if it works you'll be coughing up a fair bit and it's best to be prepared!

I wouldn't recommend you lie on your back if it still prompts coughing, lying face down is probably easiest and is what would be used for example with someone with cystic fibrosis whose lungs need regularly cleared.  But in the first instance given the limited info I have from a post compared to a full assessment and forms, I wonder if you might find a seated massage on an onsite massage chair more comfortable, which supports your front and legs but gives good access to the shoulders and upper back. 

Advantage of that option is that you generally remain clothed and you may need to keep warm and wrapped up while your condition clears.  Your lungs are under less pressure than with your bodyweight full on them, and you can move to a table as and when it seems appropriate.  As I say, CS sufferers get lungs cleared lying prone but it is quite a hard process and you aren't necessarily going to benefit from that level of intervention as previous poster already noted.

I am assuming you have either had necessary treatment to address any continuing bacterial infection and/or excluded infectious viral conditions that might pass on.. A therapist won't thank you if they can't work for several weeks, we're mostly self employed and no income is hard, but you can't sneeze and cough all over your clients every hour of the day!
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 11:03:08 am »
I trained as a sports masseuse  and it can really help. Especially  when you have a lot of gunk in your chest/ sinuses. The masseuse makes cups with their hands and goes over the back  and it really helps.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 11:05:08 am »
Thanks for the information both, it is indeed extremely helpful. :) I know that before anything could be done like this that you would have to have a consultation with them. Could you recommend anyone which would be in the Mid-Wales area who would be qualified enough to do this? Also how many sessions would it take before the benefits were really noticable?
Thank you :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 02:50:34 pm »
With catarrh the effects are usually pretty instantaneous  when the masseuse make a slight cup shape and goes up and down in almost a slap motion over the back.

When your face down your nose will probably start running and when you sit up you will cough and it does feel like the gunk has been dislodged but over the course of the day you will feel horrible again.

I know there are massage techniques for cystic fibrosis suffers along the same vein.

I am not in wales so I couldn't recommend anyone and massages cost usually £25- £30 and up for an hour so it might be easier to get a SO to massage you

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 03:47:06 pm »
Sorry I don't know anyone in Wales to recommend, I'm in Fife so most folk I know could do it are in Scotland somewhere.  Maybe just search for remedial and sports massage therapists in your area or see what a friend or family member can manage with caveat that these may not be confident or accurate and you'll have to be tolerant as will they!
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS