Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Browsing for goats  (Read 2122 times)

Rosey166

• Joined Oct 2016
Browsing for goats
« on: October 15, 2016, 11:15:19 am »
Hi All.

I'm new to the forum. Wanted to ask what people think are the favourite browsing trees/shrubs for goats.
We are planning to keep two goats in a concrete yard on three levels in our back garden. But will have a few raised beds for cover and browsing (trying to simulate as natural as possible as well as easy cleaning!!) Will throw some things to climb on in there - picnic bench, logs etc.

We are thinking of willow for one bed, what are peoples thoughts on dogwood, hawthorne, and ramanas rose? I haven't kept goats before. Please feel free to suggest other favourite foliage not yet mentioned here.

Thanks All.
Rosey

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Browsing for goats
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 09:49:14 pm »
If you give goats "free" access to any tree - they will destroy within a short period of time. There is nothing wrong with keeping goats in a non-grazing setting, i.e. a yard, as long as you are prepared (and able) to provide greens - preferably freshly cut branches from hedges and trees for most of the summer and into autumn. By all means grow willow for your goats (ours particularly love the hybrid willows you get for growing as firewood/fast-growing hedges etc) - we do that, and it works well - OUT OF REACH FOR THE GOATS.  You do need to go out cutting most days - and you should be "legal", as in only cutting hedges with the owner's consent. (and not besides heavily used main roads, where pollution may well be off the scale...)

Goats also love  lots of fruit and veg - carrots, cabbages, kale (all three good for winter as replacements for branches, though my goats even love to de-bark willow branches without leaves...), bananas, apples, courgettes... the list is quite long. I would not include citrus fruit however (or anything else with high acidity).

"Readigrass" (sold for horses) is also a good "treat" for goats in winter, especially milkers running through.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 07:25:34 pm »
Mine love ash and it grows pretty quickly and coppices nicely
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 11:54:16 am »
I grow and feed Ash, but was told too much can give them the runs, also drying a bit for winter treats. They love cornus,  but while they eat Hawthorne I would be wary of the thorns, same with roses, not heard of ramanas rose. Hazel popular. If you know someone with rosebay willowherb on their land goats love that as well. I tie bunches in their pens.
Avoid prunings from the plum/cherry family, and most evergreens.

Rosey166

• Joined Oct 2016
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 04:05:37 pm »
Thanks everyone for your replies. I was worried about keeping them on a yard with no foliage because it seemed unnatural and boring, but I don't have the space to move them from one bit of land to another to combat disease. Good to hear about going to get cuttings on their behalf. Will have to brush up on botany and call the rangers to ask about taking cuttings out of the woods. I think I will try one raised shrubbery with fence round (and over maybe) so they can eat bits that stick out!

Feeling positive. Thanks guys. :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS