Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bumper ivy pollen year ?  (Read 2478 times)

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Bumper ivy pollen year ?
« on: October 08, 2016, 08:56:54 pm »
Most of th ivy on next doors shrubs & trees has gone into over dive zillions of light khaki green 2" golf ball type clusters of it everywhere .

If it stays sunny & warmish ( 12 oC plus )  in the next few days expect an invasion of honey bees & wasps all over it .

Ivy pollen & honey  is slightly toxic enough to give some people bad headaches and diarrhea .  So my advice to anyone who is thinking of sneaking off with the bees winter stores is ..... don't do it , you may get more than you bargained for  . 

Now is also the  about the latest time you can fed 1:1 sugar syrup with out thymol in it as a sudden cold snap will leave the uncapped sugar with too much water in it and thus liable to grow mould spores
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
Re: Bumper ivy pollen year ?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 09:18:50 pm »
The ivy next to our bins has been out in flower for a good fortnight now and is now tailing off.
Looks like plenty berries for the c_____mas dec's.
Bee's are shut up for the winter now - mouse guards on, door blockers in.
Been reasonably cold up here this past 10 days - notice a big drop off in bumble numbers and also wasps too.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Re: Bumper ivy pollen year ?
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 08:50:26 pm »
Today I've been out in the garden in jeans & a tee shirt from  10.00 till 15.30 ( ish )   It was lovely & warm so long as I was in the sunshine .   I watched a wasp land on the fence a fw inches from my head and start scraping  off fibres. 

Wallop " an ex wasp fell to the floor .
 We still have plenty of bumble bees visiting the half a dozen or so fuchsia shrubs we have in the front gardens .
 All the grapes on the eight year old vine that's wired to a south facing wall have now fully ripened .
Delicious black ones,  quite big and so sweet,  I sat a while and ate a bunch of them straight off the vine. Unfortunately the wasps like them too so I had to be very careful as to how I got them and ate them .

I didn't manage to get hold of the seedless varieties so ended up spraying the gardens with plenty of unwanted grape seeds .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS