Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Apples  (Read 1885 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Apples
« on: October 08, 2016, 07:23:25 pm »
I have been give a lot of fallen apples and promised more. How much should I let the pigs have at a time. Think they are cooking type.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: Apples
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 07:32:24 pm »
I would give weaners no more than a handful cut up and larger pigs (4 months plus) a whole or a couple if the apples are small. Then if no loose droppings add a bit more each day until they are getting maybe 4 or 5 each. I fed mine a lot last year but probably should have reduced the nuts more as they were a bit fat....

Gregoz

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 08:29:56 am »
Pigs love apples and can munch on them all day
Indeed the GOS is also called the orchard pig and the black marks on them, as tale would have you believe, was caused by apples falling on them
If you are feeding them s lot cut back your rolls by half.
Pigs won't put on much fat eating apples, only give their pork a delicious taste!
Get the apples into them, especially close to finishing

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 09:35:49 am »
We're feeding the senior pigs around 6 apples twice a day, in addition to their normal feed.  The growers don't get any until the last month of finishing.  One of the sows that's running with the boar loves them so much she was ignoring the pellets and chasing apples instead, so the boar was wolfing down a lot of the pellets.  She now has apples for dessert.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 04:21:21 pm »
Thanks for the advice.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS