Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rose Hip Soup  (Read 3515 times)

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Rose Hip Soup
« on: October 07, 2016, 02:40:17 pm »
simmer half a kilo of rose hips, whole but stalks removed, in half a litre of water for one hour, smashing a bit occasionally with a wooden spoon. Drip through a double thickness of muslin (or an on its last leg's tea towel) overnight.
The juice has a strong and concentrated flavour and only one eighth of a litre (quarter of a pint) is needed for each recipe.
(Rose hip soup, light version)
One eighth litre RH juice
15 g butter

1 small onion
1 tspn. tomato puree
one and a half pints stock; chicken or veg.
1 tspn. Worcester sauce
half tspn. salt
black pepper

melt butter in a pan, add the finely chopped onion, cover pan and sweat gently, over a low heat for 5 mins. Add the tom puree, stir and add RH juice, stock, Worcester sauce and seasoning. Cover pan and simmer gently for 20 mins. Push through a sieve or liquidise, check seasoning and serve hot with croutons.

Thick Rose Hip Soup
One eighth litre RH juice
15g butter
1 med. onion
I med carrot
15g flour
2 tspns sugar
three quarters litre stock, chicken or veg
1 blade of mace or pinch of ground mace
Salt and pepper
1 tspn Worcester sauce

Melt butter in a pan,peel and thinly slice onion and carrot and fry gently together for 5 mins. Shake in flour and stir to blend, then stir in RH juice and stock and bring to a slow simmer.
Add sugar, seasoning ans Worc. sauce. Cover pan and simmer gently for 20 mins. Serve hot.

If you don't tell people what the soup is made of they will think it's a very good tomato soup!
2 tspns. sugar

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Re: Rose Hip Soup
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 09:36:02 pm »
 :thinking:  I've never come across that style soup before , it sounds good . Now where can I find easily accessible rose hips around here .  :yum:
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS