Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mains elec fence energiser  (Read 1396 times)

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
Mains elec fence energiser
« on: October 06, 2016, 05:32:18 pm »
Recommendations please for a mains unit to replace part of a perimeter fence of 10 acres and separate into 2 circuits following some problems with the existing one.  To zap Highland ponies approx the size of beef cattle, but pref without a horsehead logo that doubles prices  ::)

Existing one (electric shepherd) still clicks but I'm having overhead cable problems and can't sort it myself.  Am thinking to make 2 separate circuits so the stallion/broodmares are secured and 2 damaged short stretches of fence can be fixed before 2yo's lean over so far they fall into the wrong field or next door puts his stupidly racy wee pony mares in the paddock across a non-zapping fenceline from my stallion and his girls for the winter..

In North Fife - quotes for sorting it all for me very welcome, but I'm guessing I need to work it out for myself as a matter of some urgency and buying the box online would be a useful start.
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: Mains elec fence energiser
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 10:52:56 pm »
Sorry, can't help, but wondering what the problem with overhead lines is?  Mine runs under some lines, near a post, no problems, or is yours a high voltage line?
I use Electric Shepherd (battery) as well, but recently bought a Gemini, battery / mains, very useful.
Is it because it's a mains there is a problem ?

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
Re: Mains elec fence energiser
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 07:04:18 am »
Thanks for your reply. As of yesterday the circuit now works again round one paddock after I disconnected from the other 3 and cobbled in a couple of links to complete a circuit that didn't exist previously.  It is messy but stepping over an ankle high cable across a gate made it secure where the stallion is.

The rest, when added back to that section, stopped it working altogether again.

That section ordinarily leads the other way from the energiser and overhead across the barn roof before going through handling pens to the paddocks.  One under gate section was dug up by a tractor and pulled loose.  The section was replaced but power doesn't get there so it presumably pulled loose in the section overhead.  There is hay in the barn and I can't get at the wires but wouldn't have the experience to find and replace so thought the workaround would be best.

Sadly it hasn't worked in terms of the 3 paddock section, connecting to the working section stops it all. That part has one missing section short of a circuit so the trailing arms may just be too much or the barn bit may be shorting the circuit whenever included.  I'm relieved to have the one part back but at a loss re the rest so thinking a separate new energiser excluding the barn and completing a circuit without it may be the best way forward.  Of course I only have the one outdoor socket..

Meantime ponies have sussed the electronic is off and broken several posts, I've banged new ones in but they're still pushing when ground is soft so I need to get part 2 fixed asap.

Still, I managed part one myself so will just have to work it out.  The system was developed in stages by different people over the years and I don't really understand how it works!
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS