Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Open to the public - insurance?  (Read 4657 times)

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
Open to the public - insurance?
« on: October 03, 2016, 01:52:59 pm »
I am thinking through various ideas to generate some money (so I can cut my office hours and spend more time with the animals) and wondered about having open days for the public to come and see a smallholding and get to interact with the animals.

We only have 3.5 acres, but have been trying to find out about whether we should get insurance like Public Liability if we go ahead. Does anyone else do this and do you have insurance or am I being over-cautious? 
________
Caroline

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Open to the public - insurance?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 02:27:29 pm »
Yes, you absolutely should.

It shouldn't be too expensive though - best to approach a broker for a quote?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 02:34:15 pm »
And get in touch with local authorities! you will probably need to supply lavs, I dare say portaloos would do, hand washing arrangements etc.
Good luck, I hope it works well

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 02:46:51 pm »
Definite yes and yes, as Devonlady says need hand wipes/ or wash. If you are with the NFU they might add it on. You can't be over cautious with the public.

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 02:51:05 pm »
Thanks for echoing my thoughts. Handwashing and toilets were also on my list. My house is attached to the smallholding but I don't really want people I don't know using it so was thinking portaloos. You can hire them with a hot hand wash facility no idea how much and with some of these things the return on investment makes it pointless doing..... but I am fed up spending 3 hours a day commuting to the office so worth considering.  :farmer:
________
Caroline

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 03:04:42 pm »
What you save on commuting may well pay for the portaloo!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 03:28:04 pm »
Just thinking aloud, rather than opening properly 'to the public', perhaps you could offer a venue for school visits etc?  I've also heard of farms that are run so that disabled children can have contact with farm animals.....
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 03:36:48 pm »
Thanks, I have wondered about that as well! Not a huge fan of children but do believe strongly in the need to educate people about where food comes from and in small batches think I should be able to cope  :relief:
________
Caroline

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 04:39:43 pm »
but I am fed up spending 3 hours a day commuting to the office so worth considering.  :farmer:

Three hours?! I feel for you so much....1.3 - 2hrs just about kills me. No words of wisdom to add, but good luck and I'll watch with interest.  ;D

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 08:59:20 pm »
Yes you will need that. We are thinking of doing the same in the long run, hopefully :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2016, 09:50:01 pm »
but I am fed up spending 3 hours a day commuting to the office so worth considering.  :farmer:

Three hours?! I feel for you so much....1.3 - 2hrs just about kills me. No words of wisdom to add, but good luck and I'll watch with interest.  ;D

I used to commute for 4 hours each day.... and then had to sort out two children under three.... absolutely no regrets to giving up the career thingy, but haven't found a way to make the smallholding pay me a decent salary...

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 10:16:10 pm »
I don't think I can give up work completely but if I can reduce my hours and spend more time with the animals then I will be happy.  :thumbsup:
________
Caroline

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 10:25:54 am »
And, as I've  said to others, don't confuse standard of living with quality of life!!

HappyHippy

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2016, 04:16:49 pm »
What about composting toilets?
You could build small 'out houses' round them (even using recycled pallets for an authentic eco friendly feel) and it shouldn't be too difficult to take a branch off your hot and cold water from the house to give a hand washing 'bar' (long narrow galvanized trough with some slabs under foot and it could drain away into a bucket for emptying).
That's what I'd do  ;)

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2016, 05:12:43 pm »
It totally depends on if you are going to charge.

If your thinking of just having ya beasts next to a path and show them off and relax to passers by - then you wont need public liability.  But if you want to 'show' and make a 'business' you will need all the things that come with owning a business. ie public liability (prob only 100 a year for 2 million of cover)

You will also have to consider 'doing up' stuff.  If you have made a path then you have to consider a claim can be made if its wrong, if you leave it as the natural terrain then its user responsibility.

For the price - i would get 2 million public liability - cost less than insuring an iphone.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS