Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Synchronising for AI  (Read 2203 times)

Faye.Lear

• Joined Mar 2016
Synchronising for AI
« on: October 02, 2016, 09:09:19 am »
What's the process and can this be done at anytime?

I understand it's two visits from the vet... But that's about all I remember without getting confused!  :)

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Re: Synchronising for AI
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 10:37:06 am »
The vet will come and jab them to bring them into season which takes about three day and then they can be ai'd

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 12:55:57 pm »
Yes sbom is correct. I would talk to the vet to get all the details/procedure and process and times to be clear from every angle. Usually with us its 3 out of 5 but I am not sure what it would be with cattle.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

daveh

• Joined Nov 2008
  • South Northamptonshire
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 03:41:33 pm »
Due to the lack of a suitable local bull I used AI for the first time a couple of months ago.

I went to see my vet who let me have a bottle of Genestran. The cattle were injected once and then again eleven days later (or was it 11, memory going, would need to check) to synchronise their seasons. If you are confident to inject your cattle then attendance from the vet should not be necessary. The AI lady was booked and she inseminated them. The cows are due to be pregnancy tested in about a month's time but from observation my guess is that 3 out of the 4 are pregnant.

Regards, Dave

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 03:39:11 pm »
sponging is done here then injecting.  Its a lot of faff.  Sadly its as low as 30%.  Problems come then if you have the heifers running with bull to clear up makes syn terrible.  Also means you will be battling to get them back in calf the following year.  Not convinced the whole process works.  All cattle out of synch should be removed and sold.

JEP

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 08:39:54 pm »
just had are 2 done
vet came out did sponging & inject
[/size]we injected 7 days later & removed [/color][/size]sponging[/color]
[/size]vet said to remove [/color][/size]sponging & inject at about same time to be inseminated 3 days latter[/color]
[/size]3 days latter inseminated[/color]

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 09:05:13 pm »
Can't make sense out of that, [member=23296]JEP[/member].  Please edit formatting
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS