Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Woodburner  (Read 2155 times)

Rustynuts

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Haute Vienne
  • Nearly done
Woodburner
« on: October 01, 2016, 09:31:57 am »
Hi All,
Looking for a Woodturner to do Hotter and Rads, what would be the most efficient one around. Tried looking on line but feel I am getting biased reviews from manufacturers.
Regards
Rustynuts.
Michael

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Woodburner
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 09:39:30 am »
Is this for the UK or have you moved to France?

I have a Scandinavian one - reckoned they know more about keeping homes warm than many other countries.  Morso Squirrel. But you need to work out the size required for the area you need heated and the number of rads.  best go to a local showroom and pretend you're buying from them, pick their brains.  :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Ollyh

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 09:19:36 am »
Stoves have come on in recent years and the range available is much better. Morso are very good, but I installed a dunsley highlander a couple of years ago, it's fantastic, bullet proof gets up to hear quick and has thermostat control.

From experience the central heating engineer is as important as the stove, make sure you get someone who has really good experience with woodstove systems. Have a look at the navitron forum, friendly folk with slot of experience to share.

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 09:58:20 am »
Woodwarm down here in Devon are supposed to be among the best modern ones apparently. People have raved to us about the efficiency. We're looking to buy in the next couple of months.

In a previous house we had a Swedish Dover 1800 stove which was amazing, but no back boiler, and probably not that fancy and modern.

Hamish Crofter

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Isle of Skye
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 08:57:21 pm »

I'm a chimney sweep and stove fitter so spend all day with the things.

You can't go wrong with a Morso or anything Scandinavian.  Charnwood are excellent British stoves but whatever you do avoid Aga like the plague. Great cookers, terrible stoves.
Use the simple room calculation to get the right size as too big or small with just be a waste of money, fuel and will bring you loads of problems. Get it fitted properly and oh yea, get it swept every year!
Enjoy

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 03:11:33 pm »
Hamish, know anyone in Central belt who's clean mine? Not a chimney as such as there isn't one - just normal stove pipework to outside
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hamish Crofter

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Isle of Skye
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 08:31:25 pm »

Doganjo.       Go onto the Guild of Master Chimney Sweeps website and in the search for a sweep box it will give you contact of your local professional sweep.
 Cheers

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 11:53:33 pm »
[member=26320]doganjo[/member] , Stirling Stove Centre came out to sweep ours last year, and were reasonable enough  :thumbsup: .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2016, 01:56:26 pm »
Never thought to ask Ewen - that's where I got mine from.  Can you PM how much they charged, please?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS