Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: new arrivals  (Read 4415 times)

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
new arrivals
« on: September 28, 2016, 05:15:45 pm »
well this might be my first post in PIGS, but won't be the last:

I've just brought these two home; kune kune X Mangalitza(sp?). hope to train them to electric fence over the next few days / weeks, then put them to work on ground clearance - although I'm not quite sure how to move them from the yard across the field to where I want to put them (few 100s Yds, all too steep (and wet) for vehicles). When the previous owners picked them up they screamed blue murder, so that's not my favoured option for moving.

Now I'd better re-read the book(s) I read a year or two back...

Actually, I'd better pop out and see if they're still in their enclosure first...

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: new arrivals
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 08:06:12 pm »
Try training them to call - rattle the feed bucket and yell "C'mon you greedy porkers", or whatever you wish, whenever you feed them.  Then move them when they're good and hungry and they should follow the bucket rather than their inclination to explore.  I'd still have a couple of fleet-footed folk with pig boards handy, though.

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 08:20:21 pm »
I agree with MF  :thumbsup:
Get them used to you and the feed bucket for the next 4 or 5 days. Then delay breakfast by an hour or two on moving day  ;) A rattling bucket and a couple of rear flankers should do the trick. Don't try and herd, just lead with the rattling bucket. Take it slow, give them time to get used to their surroundings and let them catch up. One or two pig nuts dropped enroute should keep their attention.
Good luck!

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 08:57:20 pm »
OK, thanks.  :)

I am planning to train to a bucket (though i'm still wondering how much to feed them / day - they're rather small ATM).

I did wonder if you can halter train them - i suppose folks must do to show them - but that probably takes a lot of time.

They hadn't escaped by the time it got dark - which is better than I expected.  ;D

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 11:26:08 pm »
For feeding I'd probably say 1lb each per day, split into 2 feeds. Mangalitzas are a slow grow breed and prone to fat (a bit like the kunekune) so better to start low and increase if there's a drop in condition. It's easy to put the weight on but nearly impossible to take back off  ;)
Depending on size you might be able to halter train them - I do know a few that will walk on a lead. The norm for showing pigs is to do it unhaltered though, you walk them round the ring with a board and a stick. Can you imagine trying to hold on to a big old sow of 350kg with a lead, if she decided to go for it. Would make for great entertainment for the spectators  :roflanim:
Give it a week, try and spend a bit of time 'bonding' and getting them used to you - you'll hopefully have two little pigs that follow you anywhere  :thumbsup:

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 02:21:17 am »
I enjoyed watching pigs being shown at a couple of big shows this year. It's quite impressive seeing 30 in a ring being ushered round by stick and board and largely going where the handler wanted them too. Inspired me to get mine better trained. In the first instance though feed bucket does wonders.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 06:34:50 pm »
Ooh thanks for that; I suspect I've  been a bit too mean then as I've been giving them rather less than 1lb each (with a bit of Apple and carrot though).

That's encouraging pharnorth; so far I've only got these as far as letting me scratch them behind the ears and that fingers are not for eating, but it is progress.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 06:57:01 pm »
They look lovely. Enjoy your pigs mab.  By the way they all scream blue murder when you pick them up but it's very off putting.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 08:06:55 pm »
A friend brought me a pig lead back from Peru. It was plaited rope. Very colourful and worked like a ferret lead, in front of and behind the shoulder, with a very long  piece between you and pig. I never tried it but hanging onto all but the smallest pig should it decide to go would be impossible. My guess is you would have severe rope burn.

Most of my sows will move between buildings or buildings and field with me walking alongside them tapping them on the far side with my fingers. The sooner you start the better and pigs do like being handled once they get used to you then move them around in a small area using a short stick and board. At first they will run away (hence the need to use a small area) and just follow them stroking the stick on their back and sides. Use the board to block their vision and stop or turn them. A few days of this and you will be able to progress to using the stick on their far shoulder as you walk beside them to keep them going and the board to turn.

The more you handle the pigs the better but they very soon get the idea. 

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 01:41:40 pm »
I steward at the Royal Three Counties and some of the folks that show are masters at moving pigs and the ones to learn from.  The youngsters (January born) can be highly entertaining (and fast on their feet) but it's often the very best pigs that end up being the ones that hare off with all the "spare" boards in pursuit.  If they've won their class, then the best of breed and then go into the interbreed they can get pretty fed up with being walked around clockwise.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2016, 03:35:00 pm »
In the show ring you need to keep an eye on the judge and  you can give your pig a rest whilst he is looking at someone else.  Really hot days or humid days are no fun for you or the pigs.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2016, 05:38:00 pm »
They look really beautiful! Hope they do well for you :)
All the best! :thumbsup:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2016, 07:39:41 pm »
My 2 Kune-kune pigs will follow me anywhere if I have bananas . they come whenever I call and follow me when I need them to move.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2016, 08:48:47 pm »
found out today that these two like banana skins  ;D but we didn't offer them actual banana.

I hope the follow-food method works as it seems easier with two pigs than board & stick - not that I've actually got as far as trying board & stick - I'm still getting them used to me.

I installed an electric fence line inside their enclosure today on two sides - once they're used to it I'll try an electric only fence area and see if they'll stay in. I am wondering how many lines I'll need though, as they can jump onto the raised concrete area in their enclosure which is 12-14" and they could walk under 9"

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
Re: new arrivals - update
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2016, 03:33:30 pm »
Well they do follow the bucket quite well now, and one will roll over to have her belly scratched - need a bit more time with the other.

The downside of letting them out into experimental electric enclosures is that they now know there's more to the world that their original pen and the electric enclosures, and don't always wait for me to let them out.

I think their base pen is secure (after a couple of upgrades) but I've had a couple of escapes from the electric and I'm not sure how to improve it. I've used electric sheep netting; i think the first escape was due to them pushing enough earth into the bottom of the fence to short it, but I'm thinking the 2nd escape was more deliberate: It was getting close to evening feeding time and I'd just walked away from their pen (piggies protesting 'cos they were hungry) when I heard a series of squeals that sounded like both piggies were getting zapped several times. I dashed back to find them both out and the section of electric fence I move to let them in had been pulled up. I'm now wondering if i need a more robust gate section  - or a more robust zapper.

I've got them out in a new electric enclosure now and will see if they escape in the same way - but there's more to eat in there atm so they might not have the same incentive.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS