Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Planting out blueberry bushes  (Read 1979 times)

Part time dabbler

• Joined Aug 2016
  • Cornwall
Planting out blueberry bushes
« on: September 28, 2016, 12:25:28 pm »
I have two blueberry bushes that are 7 years old and have always been in containers. Now that I have moved and have more land I would like to plant them into the ground but I wanted to know what time of year to do it.

Also I took a couple of gooseberry bush cuttings from my old house that are rooted in smallish pots and I wanted to check if and when I should plant those out or should I plant into bigger pots for the time being.

Any assistance appreciated.
Physically part time in the garden, mentally full time in the garden

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
Re: Planting out blueberry bushes
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 03:01:06 pm »
As far as I know you can plant pot grown plants anytime. Your blueberries need an acid soil so check your ph before planting. You might be better keeping them in pots and topping them up with an ericaceous compost. I grow my blueberries in the polytunnel, my ground is acidic anyway but I top dress them with pine forest compost hope this helps...

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 11:53:42 pm »
I transferred two blueberry bushes from pots into the ground but they didn't seem to do much. Following my garden centre's suggestion, I dug them up and replanted them in big containers (builders' buckets with holes drilled in the bottom for drainage) filled with ericaceous compost and sunk them into the soil. Drying out is no longer a problem and the risk of frost damage is reduced. They have also grown well this year.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 10:08:36 am »
When we moved here i brought some many years old container blueberries (tubs one person couldn't lift). Along with a series of other smaller blueberries they were all planted into the ground (it happened to be april time) BUT I cheated since we had a builder + digger here and got him to dig 1meter cube holes and had a pallet of ericaceous soil delivered. In addition i added a spinkling of sulphur chips since my soil isnt really acid enough. Annually they get added sulphur chips or ferrous sulphate powder as well as fertilizer. they were all going along OK but this 4th year all my blueberries have really taken off with masses of berries and new branches - lucky year?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS