Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Flying geese  (Read 2469 times)

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
Flying geese
« on: May 27, 2010, 10:49:18 pm »
Yesterday i got after a long search 2 female geese to go with my male 2 (was told when i bought them they were one of each but thats a different story)
Got them home just before dark and put in with the males all fine even had not to much trouble shuting them in the shed for bed,tonight was a nightmare after 5 mins of trying 1 of the females just flew over the fence, took us a while to catch her but got there in the end and she then followed the others and went straight in the house.They are stock fenced in with a electric fence wire around the top,the 2 males have never ever tryed to go over the fence,i was told they couldnt fly as they were to heavy.Any advice thanks

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: Flying geese
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 10:51:24 pm »
oh yes they can we were buzzed by one last year. clip its wing.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 08:07:36 am »
I have a Roman Goose and he is a brilliant flier, my 2 Chinese have never tried but I was told by their previous owner that she was a good flier too.

trefnantbach

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 10:59:17 pm »
My embdens are great for not flying - built for flying like lead balloons! I clipped their wings though when I first put them out just in case.

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 11:11:01 pm »
Update

Last few nights they have gone to bed very easy,just walked behind them very calmy not forcing them more gentle encourgement each night since has been quicker and easier.
Thinking about it i think that the first night the dogs were running around outside of the pen maybe that frightened her.
Another good note as well i got the ladies as the males had got very aggresive hissing and coming at me,wow what a change since the ladies arrived the males are different birds no longer hissing or coming at me infact they run away!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 11:23:28 pm »
Don't know if it'd work for geese, but the way I get my ducks in is to give them their tea inside - I throw it in, they toddle in after it and bingo, I shuts the door!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS