Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: horns  (Read 3341 times)

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
horns
« on: September 27, 2016, 01:08:12 pm »
We run scottish blackface sheep.  Whenever I come away from doing anything to our sheep I come away with bruised thighs.  I also recently had to catch and treat my ram for maggots in his horns that he could not get to to sort out himself.  Why do we breed sheep with horns?  Does anyone know of any lines of scottish blackface sheep without horns?
Never ever give up.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: horns
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 01:26:14 pm »
You would surely need to cross them with a breed polled in both sexes.  After three generations the polled breed would be genetically dominant but you'd no longer have SB's.  The ram lambs might still have small horns or scurrs, though.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 02:43:06 pm »
It's one of the main reasons people switch to Mules, or Texels, or other polled type.  Or even to Swaledales, whose horns don't curve outward quite so much as those on Blackies.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 07:36:04 pm »
We breed them with horns because they've always had them and it will be a breed standard and modern SBF have very wide horns  .   In the early 1980's there was talk of export sheep needing to get rid of horns so DERBYSHIRE  GRITSTONE'S were used on SBF and a couple of polled flocks were bred , but of course never caught on and  last I heard from my scanner about 6yrs ago was that 1 flock had gone back to horns , not sure about the other

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 09:31:18 pm »
I'd think that would be a really good sheep, DG X SBF.  Super fleece, it would have. :spin:  :excited:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 12:49:31 pm »
Thanks, very useful,  I'll look out for a DSG around here.
Never ever give up.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 02:26:41 pm »
Clocking that you're in Devon, and I'm about to move to Cornwall... If you do create some DG X SBF, do shout when you are clipping them, won't you? !   :excited:  :spin:

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 03:00:07 pm »
OK.  Wow - perhaps you'll become Sally in the South West. Am having more success introducing the idea DG to the flock than I expected so this could be more than just a discussion.
Never ever give up.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 04:26:01 pm »
We were wondering about ZallyDownZouth - but no decision has been made as yet!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS