Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Question about weaning at this time of year?  (Read 3007 times)

Helen Wiltshire Horn

• Joined Apr 2014
Question about weaning at this time of year?
« on: September 26, 2016, 12:58:00 pm »
Hi, I have two Dexter calves to wean.  One, is 9 months old and the other is 7 months old.  Both are well grown and the Mum of one is on the thin side (both cows are hopefully in calf again).  I have just separated the cows from the calves and have put the Mum's on poor grazing.  My question is how long should I leave them on poor grazing for, bearing in mind we have a bit of nice bit of September grass on a 2 acre paddock and I want them to make the most of it?  Also, I can't recall how long I need to keep Mums and calves separate for.  Your advice would be appreciated. 
Helen

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Question about weaning at this time of year?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 01:04:22 pm »
When we seperate thewm its at 4 days old, but then we are dairy... We used yto seperate at 6-7 months old and then we would put the calves in a building away from mums for the winter, we always keep the youngstock out of the herd until they are big enough to be put in calf. The bond is never fully broken and they do remember each other. The thing some people use is if you put them back together say when they are much bigger and are ready to put in calf and say they are trying to suckle off mums, as they might, some farmers put spiked rings in their noses and this in turn is discomforting for the cow in question they are trying to suckle off so she will usually teach them a lesson. Not sure about this though? :-\ As to the grass wanting to make the most of it I don't really know, on the one hand you don't want them to start lactating again and on the other hand you want them nice and weighty for winter and to get the minerals before they disappear..... Hmmmmm :thinking:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 06:28:51 pm »
Feed the grass to the calves and keep apart for two months.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 10:00:38 pm »
Having had mastitis in two of my dry cows this year, I would keep them on short pickings until the udder is well and truly collapsed.  Might take a month or longer, although with calves of those ages, hopefully not longer. 

And yes, normally one doesn't let them back together until after the cow has her next calf on her.  If you need them together, then I'd agree with Buttermilk, keep them apart for two months.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shoveller

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 10:44:24 pm »
I usually wean at 9 months - I think 7 months is a bit young. They will all do well together on your good grass. The cows only need to be dry for 2 months before they calve again.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 10:33:24 am »
I usually wean at 9 months - I think 7 months is a bit young. They will all do well together on your good grass. The cows only need to be dry for 2 months before they calve again.

If the calves are pulling the cows down then wean earlier and let them have time to recover especially seeing as we are going into winter. OH normally weans calves at 7-8 months depending on size and how the cow is fairing.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 02:21:30 pm »
As others have said, put calves on good grass and keep cows on poorer pasture until their bags have shrunk considerably.
How in calf are the mothers?

Helen Wiltshire Horn

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 04:28:13 pm »
Thanks for your replies.  Cows are due in February and early April.  I appreciate that one of the calves is on the young side but she is very well grown and her mother had a tendency to lose weight whilst feeding her calves which I am nervous about as I know how hard it is to put on condition during the winter months. 
Helen

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 09:33:29 pm »
I spean the Jerseys' calves at 5 months if I want the milk for some thing else.  I cake the calves for a month or so, but they all do really well.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS