Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Natural wormers  (Read 12886 times)

korucarm

• Joined Sep 2016
Natural wormers
« on: September 21, 2016, 09:31:59 pm »
Hi! I am researching natural wormers for sheep and am wondering what others have had success with? Diatomaceous Earth and Verm X Pellets are two options that I have know of so far. I have experience with DE and have found it to be effective on both humans and dogs/cats and am wondering if it would be effective on sheep too.  Thanks.

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
Re: Natural wormers
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 08:08:47 pm »
We have used garlic ---bit of a pain to grind up and make into a drench. Best results were obtained by standing the sheep on concrete for a morning to empty out and then administering about 200cc orally
FEC reduction was ok but it was expensive and I stank for days after dosing 600 lambs

Also tried watercress but that was really messy and a job to get any into the animals

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 09:44:25 am »
Would be easier to plant a small crop of chicory that you get them to graze periodically.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 10:49:07 am »
We did do myrrh in the water though and wormwood in the food, those are good for keeping parasites down, but you have to give it to em twice daily, the wormwood, and the myrrh every day in the water. Personally I would prefer the chicory option. I think its fine if you have only a very small flock but with a big flock I don't think it would be worth it. We did  boil up wormwood and sage and let it infuse and then dose them with it, but again very time consuming and you have to do it more often than conventional. Garlic was also a very good one too!
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 12:04:39 pm »
You can get a garlic licky bucket, don't know whether it's really effective.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 04:58:18 pm »
I like the idea of a garlic lick bucket or salt but wouldn't it taint the meat?
Never ever give up.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 05:28:09 pm »
Yes a garlic bucket does taint the meat - it says don't use it for X-weeks pre-slaughter.  Besides they won't ingest enough garlic from a bucket to do any good for worming purposes, just enough to keep flies off.

davet

• Joined Sep 2016
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 06:54:50 pm »
We give ours a handful of ewe nuts in the evening to keep 'em friendly.  Following on from the behaviour of a horsey friend of ours I give a sprinkling of garlic powder over the nuts with the view to keep flies off.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 10:34:13 pm »
Yes a garlic bucket does taint the meat

Am I the only one who thought  :yum: :yum: :yum:  reading that?

:-[
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Maureen

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 12:52:57 am »
I will try the garlic buckets for keeping flies away, meat taint not important as my sheep are pets - thanks for the tip

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 01:01:23 am »
Yes a garlic bucket does taint the meat

Am I the only one who thought  :yum: :yum: :yum:  reading that?

:-[

No.   :yum: :yum: :yum:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 09:31:07 am »
If "natural" wormers, like Vermex or garlic were really effective.... I wonder why there is a huge market for chemical wormers...

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 10:12:46 am »
As Anke says. Also I am intrigued as to how you found these natural products to be effective in worming humans. Is this first hand experience, scientific clinical trials or internet anecdotes?  There are substantial issues with worming humans in the third world and with the use of chemical workers for pregnant women, which with limited contraception is potentially most child bearing age women so no doubt widespread use of 'safe' natural products but that does not necessarily make them effective.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2016, 11:35:35 am »
If "natural" wormers, like Vermex or garlic were really effective.... I wonder why there is a huge market for chemical wormers...
Probably because with chemical wormers its a case of dose once then leave till next time. With natural wormers its an everyday thing, which means that it is time consuming and a lot of people just dont have the time, sadly :(
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2016, 11:54:54 am »
Please do NOT use  a "natural wormer" to attempt to get rid of an existing worm burden in your livestock. There is no such thing as a "natural wormer" - end of story!

Why do you think Vermex is not sold anymore as a "natural wormer" (as it was when it first came out), but to help naturally with the intestinal hygiene - the huge advert on the back of CS doesn't once use the word "wormer" ! It does NOT work

I have no reason not to think that regular consumption of garlic will be good for any animal (including humans) in many aspects, I feed it in small quantities to my goats over winter and grow a large crop for us humans too.... I have seen goats from goatkeepers that do not "believe" in using chemical wormers, and these goats are a sad sad sight...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS