Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Storing Hay/Straw bales in Polytunnel  (Read 9638 times)

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Re: Storing Hay/Straw bales in Polytunnel
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2016, 05:30:05 pm »
At the local stables where my Munchkin goes hrose riding they use th wraped hayledge and roll the  wrapped bale into position using wooden levers  , it5's under a thre sided hay shelter & appears to be about the best solution around .

Wrt
Your poly tunnel , . I'm thinking you will need to have the ends open to keep the air circulation  going and stop condensation coming from not only the air but also up out the ground .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Storing Hay/Straw bales in Polytunnel
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2016, 08:48:04 pm »
We store all our hay (about 35 bales at a time, usually lasts about a month or so - for the goats) in the polytunnel (smallest commercial size, so it only takes up one corner/side of it), but I wouldn't cover it with anything. I also always open the doors, front and back every day. No issues with dampness at all, and since cat is usually spending a large proportion of his day spread out on top of the bales we have found the rats have scarpered as well....

We had terrible problems with rats moving into large hay/straw bales as soon as you started to unwrap them..., but it seems not so much an issue with small square bales.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS