Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How the heck are we going to eat all of this?  (Read 6020 times)

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
Re: How the heck are we going to eat all of this?
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2016, 09:01:17 pm »

marrow rum
[/quote]

Really?? How?

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2016, 11:49:42 pm »
Better tell me what am I supposed to do with a 10kg marrow?!?!

My mum used to make marrow and ginger jam and it was wonderful

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2016, 09:33:02 am »
I love stuffed marrow.  And fried marrow.  Marrow in soup. 

And marrow's just a big courgette, right?  So anything you can do with courgette.  What about getting a spiraliser and having marrow spaghetti?

But 10kgs?  !!   :o.  First off, you want to find a show to put it in!   :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2016, 10:02:17 am »

marrow rum

Really?? How?

Various recipes on the web.. essentially slice off top, hollow the soft centre, pack with brown or demarara sugar +/- raisins, replace top and peg on with a couple of sticks, hang the whole thing in a string bag and wait some weeks before making a drain/collection hole in the bottom.

Having said that i only ever tried in once and the stuff that came out didn't look safe to drink :-(

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2016, 10:03:38 pm »
I love stuffed marrow.  And fried marrow.  Marrow in soup. 

And marrow's just a big courgette, right?  So anything you can do with courgette.  What about getting a spiraliser and having marrow spaghetti?

But 10kgs?  !!   :o.  First off, you want to find a show to put it in!   :D
I love them too. Was dreaming of them the entire winter but I've grown sooooooo many this year we are all sick of them lol
Didn't eat them for a month now haha
The funny thing is there are still some marrows growing!
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2016, 09:04:45 pm »
Better tell me what am I supposed to do with a 10kg marrow?!?!

You'll walk funny for weeks if you do  :roflanim:

We have each been eating a three inch thick tube of peeled marrow each . 
Sweat it in a little butter for a few seconds in a pan . decant it into a microwavable dish and give it a tiny tiny  just noticeable sprinkle of a crumbled up oxo cube over over it .

Microwave with cling film or a Pyrex lid on the dish   for 3 min , uncover  turn it over in the dish to dissolve the Oxo cube salt  and nuke for another minute or so . Till the cell structure starts to drop a smidgeon .
 It will be squishy if you press a teaspoon on it serve with gravy and the ret of th meal .

We eat the marrow like this instead of having potatoes with the meal as it's a way of helping me keep my weight down .

It is also a good thickener for broth based soups & thin  stews when it's peeled and reduced to mush during the  cooking time .  Just allow for the water content if your measuring exact volumes of warer  .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2016, 12:05:46 am »
Parcels of grass-reared Rare Breed Hebridean hogget with Herbes de Provence and black pepper

Hogget sausages?  They sound great - any chance of a recipe?  :thumbsup:

Sorry [member=2128]Womble[/member] I didn't see this - must have been when my computer was dead (for three weeks  :o  )

The way I make them is to take them along to my butcher  :roflanim:

I have made my own, but my butcher (Jim Cairns in Law - that's a place to those of you from far away) has perfected a recipe which works for us.  I send the hoggets off at 16 months, have back the gigots, shoulders and chops, then everything else is made into sausages and burgers - same recipes for both.  He adds a sausage mix ie rusk and flavourings, because 100% sheep meat in a sausage is just too hard and dry and sometimes a little pork fat.  I then add my own flavourings, which he sticks into the mix.  My usual recipes use Herbes de Provence with plenty of black pepper, or chillies and black pepper, or North African spices.  You could try red currant jelly, or apple, or anything else you can dream up.  I think mint is a total waste of time as you can't taste it in the sausages, as it's the vinegar which is the vital ingredient in mint sauce.
I tend not to use the sausages or burgers in the usual way.  Burgers usually get made into curry, and the sausages will be served with gravy, mash and veggies - apple sauce goes quite well if it's hot.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2016, 09:07:02 am »
Have you ever thought of hiring out Mr F to fire up hot air balloons  :roflanim:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2016, 12:48:43 pm »
Have you ever thought of hiring out Mr F to fire up hot air balloons  :roflanim:

Na - we have dragons for that  :eyelashes:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2016, 08:55:55 pm »
Lol

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS