Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How the heck are we going to eat all of this?  (Read 6037 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
How the heck are we going to eat all of this?
« on: September 21, 2016, 04:32:30 pm »

However can we eat 6lbs of Savoy before it composts itself?

Well, this is how we had some last night:

# Parcels of grass-reared Rare Breed Hebridean hogget with Herbes de Provence and black pepper

# Served on a bed of Orla, Pommes de Terre Ecossaise, creamed with locally produced butter and freshly ground black pepper

# In a nest of Chou de Savoie, shredded and steamed al dente

# With a drizzle of Razzamatazz spicey, savoury jus.

Well OK, it was bangers and mash with cabbage and gravy  ;D

One meal down, 9 more to go.....and then there are the other three wee cabbages like it

« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 07:42:16 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: How the heck are we going to eat all of this?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 04:48:58 pm »
The posh nosh bangers and mash with cabbage and gravy sounds wonderful :yum:  I could eat that every night for a fortnight and not get tired of it :)

I like cabbage in soup, too. 

Oh, and Delia's garlic-y cabbage, for a change from steamed.

What about sauerkraut?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 06:13:53 pm »
I seem to remember a regular appearance of cabbage in hot yoghurt and orange sauce in the 1970s. I am away at moment but Mrs Ghdp would have the recipe if interested? I will post it.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 06:29:49 pm »
Easy: sauerkraut
lots of recipes on the web

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 08:30:01 pm »
My first reaction was aaaaagh nooo not sauerkraut.  I've managed to avoid it all these decades, but maybe homemade will be better.  There are some recipes for making it in pickling jars - I just bought some v big Kilner jars with clip lids which sound perfect to see if we like the stuff.   So, OK, I'll try sauerkraut.  And the garlicky cabbage, Sally, but sorry, not the hot yoghurty version Ghdp........well, I might think about it, but not yet.

By the way, the posh menu above was very tongue in cheek - any restaurant with stuff covered in 'jus' has me running away screaming.  Actually restaurants altogether have me running away screaming - it's that tea towel the chefs fling over their shoulders to wipe their hands on all the time, sprinkled with dandruff, then they keep running their hands through their hair, wiping their noses on the back of a hand, then arranging your food with their bare hands  :yuck:   I much prefer my own cooking, using home produced ingredients - and I can read a book at the table at home  :innocent:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 08:44:24 pm »
How to put me off restaurants with one tea towel !!!

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 09:31:25 pm »
I'll try and remember to ask my mum for her cabbage recipes and sauerkraut method. She's Czech and 97.  The authentic old ways and any new fast cheats.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 09:15:15 am »
..spoke to mum. For winter storage it was just shredded cabbage layered with salt.. no apple, no caraway seed etc.
However for cooking cabbage she reckons the best way is no water.. just start with some meat fat (classically pork) and add shredded cabbage amd just keep gently turning it over in the pan .. often with a little sprinkling of caraway seed. Part of the czech classic dish of pork, bread dumplings and cabbage (recipes for that on the web too). Goose was the other option to pork for a 'national' dish

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 12:31:34 am »
I do similar by frying onions in butter, then adding the shredded cabbage, putting on a tight fitting lid and leaving to steam in its own moisture.

You can freeze cabbage as well.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 12:02:49 pm »
Your recipe is similar to Delia's MGM, except Delia uses olive oil not butter, and adds a clove of garlic, crushed, a few mins before the onions are just browned.  Oh, and adds a few black peppercorns.  She leaves it on a low heat for 15 mins, but if your pot is a good heat-retaining one it'll come to much the same.

You've reminded me though of all the bubble and squeak and other fried cabbage delights :yum:

One of my faves, especially to go wiith sausages, is to fry onions in animal fat - the sausage juices work very well, or bacon grease - till softened, add shredded cabbage and cook till almost burned.  If you used lard or olive oil, add some sausage juices and stir through, just before serving.  Serve with tomato ketchup.  I add peas, too, if I have some.  :yum:  Ideal with fried potato patties.  Heart attack on a plate, but you'll die with a smile on your face.   :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 09:24:34 am »
I could eat cabbage fried in butter with every diner!
Bacon and fried cabbage is also great for breakfast.  :yum:

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 10:32:51 am »

However can we eat 6lbs of Savoy before it composts itself?

Well, this is how we had some last night:

# Parcels of grass-reared Rare Breed Hebridean hogget with Herbes de Provence and black pepper

# Served on a bed of Orla, Pommes de Terre Ecossaise, creamed with locally produced butter and freshly ground black pepper

# In a nest of Chou de Savoie, shredded and steamed al dente

# With a drizzle of Razzamatazz spicey, savoury jus.

Well OK, it was bangers and mash with cabbage and gravy  ;D

One meal down, 9 more to go.....and then there are the other three wee cabbages like it
Follow my Polish ancestors and make bigos, which is sort of stew made from cabbage and meat - perfect for your hogget.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 12:23:13 pm »
Better tell me what am I supposed to do with a 10kg marrow?!?!
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2016, 03:59:55 pm »
Parcels of grass-reared Rare Breed Hebridean hogget with Herbes de Provence and black pepper

Hogget sausages?  They sound great - any chance of a recipe?  :thumbsup:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2016, 08:46:51 pm »
Better tell me what am I supposed to do with a 10kg marrow?!?!

marrow rum

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS