Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone still hatching ?  (Read 2533 times)

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
Anyone still hatching ?
« on: September 21, 2016, 03:25:21 pm »
Just wondering if anyone was still hatching ?

I've enjoyed my hatching this year and with this warm weather I was thinking of one more batch which would be laying early next year.

Anyone else ?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Anyone still hatching ?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 03:48:32 pm »
I don't hatch after July.  The birds are well grown enough to survive the Winter and start laying around Christmas, depending on breed.

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 04:15:27 pm »
 :wave:

I can't stop hatching and tend to do it year-round. I've just put 12 Ixworth and a few d'Anvers in - they should hatch on the 7th. I'm in the South east though and it stays relatively warm down here. They stay inside until they've fluffed up and go into a shed if it stays relatively mild.  ;D

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 04:24:09 pm »
No sadly not now, the broodies have gone off, so not until next year if I have the time. How has everyone elses done then? :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 09:19:10 am »
What warmer weather? Nighttime temperatures dropping to 9C at night this week and that's here in the south. By the time new chicks have hatched it's highly likely it'll be much cooler during the day too than it is now, it'll be well into October by then.

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 11:16:43 am »
Due to blatantly poor management on our part, we have broodies hatching chicks all over the place. All are now present and correct so no more surprises, but I really wouldn't want them hatching any later than this.
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 02:34:31 pm »
What warmer weather? Nighttime temperatures dropping to 9C at night this week and that's here in the south. By the time new chicks have hatched it's highly likely it'll be much cooler during the day too than it is now, it'll be well into October by then.

Well, when I say warmer, I mean no plummeting temperatures. I mean, last year there wasn't even a frost here. It'll come back and bite me I bet - everyone's saying the coldest winter in fifty years...but then don't they say that every year?

My incubator's in the house and the chicks normally stay inside too if it's very cold.....gets a bit pongy  :yuck:

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 02:50:53 pm »
nah, I can't be bothered if they aren't hatched by end of June. They need to get to a decent size and weight before winter up here-we're already doing down to 4/5C overnight. I have two 8 week old growers and 11 5week old ducklings-all broody raised-and thats enough.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 10:25:19 am »
My last are now 10 weeks and I'm collecting 30 more day olds for a customer who has indoor facilities to grow them on but have opted out of adding more for myself as I have limited space and need them able to go outdoors by 6 weeks.

Will start raising more late March under brooder.
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 06:17:49 pm »
Yes I've decided to apply some self control and wait until early next year.

I have some Indian Game chicks at about 4 weeks and I'm finding myself checking next weeks weather to see when they can go out
So in another months time it will be a bit of a non starter.

mintytwoshoes

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 06:36:57 pm »
Hi
Had an unexpected hatch four weeks ago.  Ended up putting eggs in the incubator as the hen decided one was enough.  As I did not have the heat lamp to hand they survived with a hot water bottle and radiator inside the house ..... Rad is now switched off and the bottles went two weeks ago.  Amazing how one can improvise!!  They are all fine and feathered up and about to go into the boiler store as yes it is smelly!!  Changing cardboard boxes every other day!! But worth it if they survive but I would not recommend hatching at this time of year especially in Scotland!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS