Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: irish moiled cattle  (Read 4281 times)

beagh-suffolks

• Joined Oct 2014
irish moiled cattle
« on: September 20, 2016, 05:19:18 pm »
so among the madness of already keeping sheep im getting an irish moiled weanling heifer next month, anyone much experience with them or any words of advice? for years my father kept sucklers (mainly limmy an charolais), but i always fancied something a bit different, then at balmoral this year i got the chance to show one in young handlers an fell in love with the breed.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: irish moiled cattle
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 07:05:05 pm »
Are you getting two as company for each other?

On of the memebrs of our RBST group has them - very handsome cattle.

beagh-suffolks

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 11:10:03 pm »
got this lady for my 21st so may get more in the future , she will have a commerial heifer calf (limmy x blue called peachy) i reared for company for the time being :)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 02:58:52 pm »
They are very beautiful and very rare animals. I must confess I am feeling a little jealous, I have always wanted some but never been able to afford them. Could you post some pics when you get her? :excited: I have heard that their milk yields used to be very good, in fact there was a cow in Ireland who was recorded at 16 litres I think, a day, when she was old not to think the gallons she had given over the years! Sadly though this line I think is either very rare or died out. They are excellent milkers and for meat too, plus they are quite hardy and have beautiful colours! :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 01:01:01 pm »
Threads like this always make me wish I was 26 again, had a thousand acres and a bottomless purse!!

beagh-suffolks

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 01:02:54 am »
So here she is ! Beechmount Lilly , she's an 8 month old weanling..she didn't get the best start to life as her mum died but is doing well now

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 07:06:20 am »
Nice girl.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 03:30:42 pm »
she is a beauty! Well done, I hope she does you well :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

beagh-suffolks

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 12:30:29 am »
Just thought I would give an update with balmoral being next week , I have entered her into her breed section , shes changed a right bit from I first got her ????

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 05:29:46 am »
She's a fine animal. Good luck at the show and well done fro preserving this amazing breed. :thumbsup:

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 06:18:58 am »
Looking smart.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 10:03:21 am »
Very nice.

Anyone know why I can't get any of the smilies/imojis or any other options on my posts?
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2017, 11:39:29 am »
Stunning creature, I hope you win with her :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS