Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Managing thick grass in overgrown orchard  (Read 7379 times)

SJP

• Joined Sep 2016
Managing thick grass in overgrown orchard
« on: September 20, 2016, 04:52:21 pm »
Hello,

I’ve recently taken on the management of a somewhat overgrown 1.5 acre orchard and I’m struggling to keep the thick hill-grass, docks, nettles and thistles under control. I’ve used a mixture of a medium-powered strimmer and an Austrian scythe, but it’s a good 6-8 day job with either. Is there something that I can buy that can cut this in a day or so? I don’t have a tractor, van, fork-lift, or the like, and the access is poor. As such I need something that is both small enough to fit in a car-boot and light enough to lift, push, etc. I want a tool that can cut 4-6 months growth of this grass, etc. 2-3 times a year. Does anyone have some recommendations?

Am I correct in thinking that a power scythe would be to bulky, heavy and expensive? I was considering a very powerful second-hand Stihl brushcutter or a wheeled trimmer, but, whilst quicker that what I’m currently using, would either be a sufficient enough upgrade to warrant buying one or the other? Ultimately, the machines I’ve ended up considering are the following:
SHERPA Paddock Master Drum Mower
SHERPA Bravo Rough Cutter

I would be delighted to hear any advice. Many thanks.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Managing thick grass in overgrown orchard
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 03:38:45 pm »
Sheep :)

Can you not get a local farmer to come in once or twice a year to top it for you?   1.5  acre is a lot to do by hand.   Or a local farmer with some sheep that he/she could run in from time to time?

Black Sheep

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Briercliffe
    • Monk Hall Farm
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 09:03:11 pm »
Some of the things on this page look like they could handle the thick stuff and potentially be just about small enough to get in a big boot, like the Bertolini one at the bottom. Not cheap though!

https://www.lawnmowersdirect.co.uk/category/field-and-rough-grass-mowers

We had something similar at the nature reserve where I used to volunteer that would be used to mow areas of reed that were spreading and it handled those fine.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 10:41:07 am »
I'd seriously consider a tow-bar, trailer and decent ride-on mower.. make the job a  doddle and do it 4x a year rather than twice.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 07:43:17 am »
With a ride on mower you would have to mow at least once a month - not twice a year - after all its just a mower not a combine harvester. I know that from experience. We have been asked to cut a 3 acre "lawn" in July which was last cut in October...
It broke two ride on lawn mowers!
The best option was to cut it with a power scythe/tractor for hay.
If not power scythe then you want a flail. You will kill a normal mower on such a long grass.
Also I agree with someone who said sheep!
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 09:42:49 am »
I would vote sheep as well. Or look at the Reddifast groung clearer. Sorry, i dont know how to do the link :innocent:

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 09:50:24 am »
get some Molly lambs in spring  ... or even geese
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 06:45:35 pm »
With a ride on mower you would have to mow at least once a month - not twice a year - after all its just a mower not a combine harvester. I know that from experience. We have been asked to cut a 3 acre "lawn" in July which was last cut in October...
It broke two ride on lawn mowers!
The best option was to cut it with a power scythe/tractor for hay.
If not power scythe then you want a flail. You will kill a normal mower on such a long grass.
Also I agree with someone who said sheep!

I've got a front deck husqvarna zero turn.. and that's perfecty capable of being rammed into moderate brambles and taking some respectable abuse (on it's highest setting) and mulching the lot down. And it carries my 18st weight while it does it.

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 09:41:27 pm »
BCS Tracmaster power scythe and sheep.

Taliesin

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 08:39:29 am »
I've a friend with a one acre orchard on undulating land. He has 10 female Brecon Buff geese as lawn mowers and fertilisers. They are friendly creatures and need to be kept in a separate paddock at night to keep away mr or mrs fox. They also needs a small pond to bath each morning before beginning work again.

VEG

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Maesteg South Wales
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 06:53:31 pm »
get a flail mower it will clear it in no time

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 10:52:23 am »
Ooo, I like the look of that flail mower [member=35590]VEG[/member] ... would be perfect for my brambles, only trouble is it would sink in the mud :(

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 03:42:22 pm »
We have a tracmaster scythe mower, copes with allsorts,  but won't fit in a car boot ;-).
Combination of sheep and geese?  Would sheep damage the trees in winter? 
Maybe geese and weaned lambs, dispose of lambs late autumn?

VEG

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Maesteg South Wales
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 04:15:24 pm »
Ooo, I like the look of that flail mower [member=35590]VEG[/member] ... would be perfect for my brambles, only trouble is it would sink in the mud :(
It would have to be very boggy for it to sink as its got double tyres on each side

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS