Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Leg ring stuck on scaly leg  (Read 2246 times)

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
Leg ring stuck on scaly leg
« on: September 19, 2016, 08:20:04 pm »
We are treating one of hens for scaly leg and the swelling has made her leg ring very tight and we are having difficulty removing it.  It is of the snap closed type, not the spiral kind.

Does any one have any brainwaves as how to remove it safely?

Thanks

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Leg ring stuck on scaly leg
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 08:46:09 pm »
Can you oil the leg and slide the edge of something like a pair of sheep footshears under the ring?  Footshears are generally strong enough to cut through a ring.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 10:20:06 pm »
So it's stuck in the scales with no wriggle room whatsoever and it'll pull scales off if you pull too hard? I can't think of a pair of scissors or cutters thin enough that could cut through those rings if they're so tight, so yes, oil the leg if that would make it at all possible to slide the ring upwards using just olive oil or butter or so.

Are you doing it by yourself or do you have someone to help holding her? I find the rings quite tricky to remove without pinching the leg even if there's enough space if I have to hold the bird myself as well. You might just need to wait until the scaly leg improves  :(  I'm treating one of mine, don't know how long it will take before it gets better.

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 10:25:17 pm »
Thank you Eve - I think you have summed up where we are at.  We will monitor it daily and not do anything too drastic in the hope the leg will calm down.

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 09:18:32 pm »
We managed to remove the ring today.  We were able to slide the clip joint apart by moving the ends of the ring laterally in opposite directions.  hen is a lot happier and treatment can continue more effectively.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS