Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rams rams rams  (Read 3610 times)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Rams rams ramspp
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2016, 09:29:50 am »
I'd also recommend Charollais for easy lambing and excellent fat lambs, btw.
I want to put our lleyn x girls to a charollais next year providing I can find someone who will hire one out to me :)

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
Re: Rams rams rams
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2016, 09:17:08 pm »
Is this your first year lambing and is this the first year for your shearlings lambing?  If so I would HIGHLY recommend  Lleyn tup.  First time texels can be very difficult to lamb but put to a Lleyn tup the lambs pop out much easier and are up and doing really quickly.  Next time you can then put them to a texel / Charolais or whatever for better returns.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2016, 07:30:14 am »
Thanks for your reply. I have lambed before at uni where a texel was the terminal sire so had quite afew assisted births but that was a few years ago now and it is our shearlings first time so yes we were definitely looking at a Lleyn so that recommendation is useful. I intend to keep some of the ewe lambs so like the idea of some Lleyn characteristics in them.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2016, 08:44:42 am »
I've no issues with a Lleyn tup for your girls, but a Charollais would be equally easy lambing, very active lambs, and would grow into better fat lambs.  So if you had problems finding a Lleyn, a Charollais would be fine.

Texels are quite different.  The lambs are bigger and chunkier at birth, the skins (fleeces) are rougher, so more friction in the birth canal, and the lambs are much more likely to be dozy and not get up and find the milk bar - or continue to chase an inexperienced ewe if she's running away from them.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS