Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Keeping Ewe lambs for breeding - which ones to choose?  (Read 3590 times)

Paul and Caroline

• Joined Apr 2014
Keeping Ewe lambs for breeding - which ones to choose?
« on: September 18, 2016, 09:29:55 am »
Hi

I have 5 Texel X Ewe (pet) lambs of which I intend to keep 2 to breed from. They were born 31/3/2016 and I want to put them to the tup next Autumn for lambing in 2018.

The question is which ones to keep?

What criteria do you all use when making this decision? Do you immediately eliminate any that have shown any symptoms of illness even though apparently fully recovered and fit now? Do you go for the biggest or feistiest (if there is such a word but if not you know what I mean!!), or most placid. Are there any specific characteristics, physical or behavioural that you look for?

Grateful for any pointers....

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Keeping Ewe lambs for breeding - which ones to choose?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 12:41:01 pm »
depends  on you , for me they would be the fittest in condition , the largest in size , with the type of fleece I want and if pure looking like the breed .   I think for you temperament may be an important factor the quieter the better .     

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 02:53:40 pm »
As ever, agree with Shep.....
If you're only keeping two, it may be that what you want are two ewes who are easy to handle, and wont get stressed every time you need to do something with them - a feisty pure bred highly strung ewe might breed exceptionally well, but might make the sheep owning experience for you an utter nightmare!  whereas two tame(ish) ewes may not be the strongest and sturdiest, and may have the occasional need for attention, but may make the whole shepherding experience a joy and a lovely learning curve....

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 04:11:45 pm »
I would keep the best grown and strongest duo! You don't want any weedy ewes that have issues lambing. When I have ever chosen replacement breeders to keep I find my eye is naturally drawn to certain ones time and again so my decision becomes easy. Keep your favs!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 04:46:01 pm »
Being ill and getting over it wouldn't necessarily rule one out for me.

Things that do rule them out include :

Mucky bum even when wormed
Repeatedly gets bad feet (once, recovers alone, no problem.  Twice needs attention is out.)
Barges at me or past me, runs off away from the other sheep when being gathered.
Any issues with breathing
Narrow at the front - between the front legs

The biggest, chunkier ewes don't always make the best breeders.  Often the best breeders are a little on the scrawny-looking side.  But when starting out, I'd pick strong, calm ones.

I'd keep three, though, not two.  If you have two and one dies...  Whereas if you have three and one dies, the others still have company.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 10:14:57 pm »
I agree with all above. Good size and confirmation, no tendency to foot problems would be my main criteria.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 05:37:57 am »
Check the mouths -any dodgy ones I wouldn't keep

Second keeping three not two.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 02:40:57 pm »
I agree three is better than two.  With Texels I wouldn't keep anything with a very short neck or very broad head.  Otherwise I go for 100% healthy all its life, good teeth, sound feet and thick horn on the clees, clean back end and a friendly but not pushy disposition.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 10:41:02 am »
 You're only keeping 2 or 3, so realistically this is not a major economic decision! And it's actually a no brainer - you keep the tamest, favourite ones.
 You will get little pleasure from keeping the biggest nicest looking ones, merely because they are "the best" if they are unfriendly, difficult to catch and even more difficult to handle once you have caught them.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Paul and Caroline

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 08:06:44 am »
Hi guys thanks for all the comments - one of the earliest bits of advice we were given was to bucket train our animals and my word are they bucket trained! They are in a 3 acre field and no matter where they are within that field all we have to do is shake the bucket and they dance over the brow of the hill like the cast of the Sound of Music! Mind you we have just given them their Heptivac P+ injections and they roundly objected to that so we will see what happens next time we have to pen them!

I have one that had pneumonia and made a full recovery after the Vets intervention - she was my favourite to keep as she is big, robust and very friendly and I have one that had occasional (but frequent) coughing fits for the first few months (now apparently gone) so based on your suggestions I should probably discount those two. Of the remaining 3 the biggest one least likes to be handled - she doesn't bolt but makes it clear she objects! - so it looks like my breeding lambs have more or less selected themselves! One of those is the smallest of the lot however they are going to have another 12 months at least of growing and developing before tipping so we will see how it goes......

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 08:40:33 am »
You're ignoring te advice given by most of us that you should keep three, not two, then?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Paul and Caroline

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2016, 05:49:13 pm »
Sally no - I am following the various suggestions that I discount those with any respiratory problems (past or present) and also any that might present handling problems - there are three that fall into one or other of those categories - which leaves two..... If I am unfortunate enough to lose one of the retained ewe lambs I have a farmer with over 2000 Ewe lambs as my neighbour (from whom I got my original 5) and he is more than willing to sell me one of them. Might sound heartless (and I am not) but this seems to be the most sensible choice in the circumstances.....

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2016, 07:36:06 pm »
 :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2016, 07:40:22 pm »
Fair 'nuff  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS