Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ravens  (Read 2869 times)

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
Ravens
« on: September 16, 2016, 06:08:22 pm »
We have a large ravenry close by so are used to seeing them fly over-generally though they fly out in their pairs early and late on, high up to go farther afield. Today though, there are pairs doing acrobatics all round the house :) and I wondered why they might be? They mate for life I think so could these be younger birds pairing up? I know they cause issues for local farmers but I do love watching them.

We also have a young heron, he seems a bit confused and keeps landing on the lane. Earlier on, he landed on our driveway and scared the hell out of my young ducks :)

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Ravens
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 09:14:54 pm »
It has been observed that young (and older) pairs, love to fly acrobatic together, who knows why

The breeding pair here have been pretty active doing divebombs this morning and fly-bys this afternoon.
I'm still in awe of them, their vocalisations always catch my immediate attention
My captive bred one is always attentive when he hears them pass by.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 05:49:23 pm »
I know they cause issues for local farmers but I do love watching them.
I think you mean picking the anus, eyes, navel and tongue out of newborn lambs?

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 07:38:07 am »

yes, thanks for mansplaining, am quite aware of what they can do.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 08:31:27 pm »
I think I may be COMplaining that it's necessary to take a shotgun and shoot newborn rare breed lambs that it's taken years of diligent shepherding and meticulous performance recording to produce, because the powers-that-be appear to believe ravens are cuddlier corvids than crows and rooks.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 01:00:28 am »

yes, thanks for mansplaining, am quite aware of what they can do.

Other corvids do that too - in much greater numbers.   We are still at the stage of finding ravens to be a novelty, as we only get the odd pair here (probably from your ravenry Fran).  I know my attitude will change if they go attacking our livestock, but so far they stay in the air or in the trees.  There are lots of other corvids here which chase the ravens away.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 03:39:41 pm »
We did have them 'hanging around' one year as our Soay were lambing. The ewes were upset by their presence but didn't actually see them doing anything untoward. Maybe looking for afterbirth?

Local farmer says that he has never had them cause a problem in 50 odd years up here.

They are beautiful to watch, though I understand you may not feel that way if you have repeated problems with them.

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 09:30:34 pm »
They are one of the most intelligent and adaptable birds in nature. i expect this explains the variable behaviour. there are acres of sheep round here and ravens in fact nesting within hundreds of metres without issue.
I love seeing the wild ones and i sincerely hope they live out their natural lives here (30+ years) and are not shot prematurely.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS