Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cull Ewe with foot root.  (Read 2617 times)

IanStevens

• Joined Sep 2016
Cull Ewe with foot root.
« on: September 16, 2016, 04:18:50 pm »
Hi everyone, this is my first post but I'm sure it won't be my last.
This is our first year having sheep and has been a very steep and quick learning curve, I'm hoping someone with experience will have the answer to my question.

We have a ewe that we plan to cull that has a persistent problem with foot rot.  Does anyone know whether this is likely to cause any kind of taint to the mutton?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Cull Ewe with foot root.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 12:28:01 pm »
Really don't know , but I wouldn't think so .  The sheep has to be putting weight on the bad foot or the abattoir  may turn it away  and no smell

IanStevens

• Joined Sep 2016
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 01:08:42 pm »
Thanks Shep53.  We received these sheep in pretty poor condition.  Six were lame, this one was the worst with what I think is referred to as "strawberry foot" which basically meant that one nail was completely de-laminated from the pad all the way round.  s it got warmer we ended up with maggots which we cleaned out twice and kept spaying with foot rot spray.  She's back out with the others and now walking with only a slight limp, so there's a major improvement. 

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 01:20:44 pm »
Sounds more like CODD  . WELL DONE  on getting them all fairly sound

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 04:57:08 pm »
I took a 4 year old wether to slaughter earlier in the year who had recurrent foot problems and the mutton is delicious. No taint. The slaughters were concerned about the lameness over the phone but he was just nodding when he went so no problem.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 02:44:35 pm »
If it's CODD the C stands for Contagious, so watch out for the others getting the same problem.  If you keep a sheep with a dodgy foot in the shed for a few days before market/slaughter the hoof wall will generally dry out and toughen up enough for it to put weight on it without a problem.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 03:30:31 pm »
If it is CODD they probably wouldn't be getting any better with the usual footrot treatment.  CODD starts from the top (the band where the hoof joins the leg) and works down.  If yours are improving then you probably don't have CODD! :)

I wouldn't eat anything with an active infection.  Also, be aware of the withdrawal period of any drugs that you have been treating them with.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 10:53:47 am »
It doesn't cause any taint. It's a localised problem and I'm presuming you're not planning on eating the feet anyway. :innocent:
If it were a problem there would be an awful lot of sheep rejected from abattoirs.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

IanStevens

• Joined Sep 2016
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 11:03:28 am »
Thanks everyone.  I feel more confident about sending her now.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS