Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep in the city?  (Read 16279 times)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: Sheep in the city?
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2016, 07:34:36 pm »
Thanks very much! My wife's uncle actually sells wool in his shop lol
And he gets a lot of people who say spin wool from their own sheep. I'd probably leave it in his shop to sell!
I was looking at weights and there are minor differences. Now it's just personal preference - look wise my wife liked shetland and portland the most
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2016, 08:33:03 pm »
Shetlands are a lot easier to source, come in lots of colours, ewes are polled.  Portlands all the same colour, harder to source, both sexes horned.  Lambs the cutest fox red.  Both breeds usually lamb easily, good mothers, etc.  Both breeds taste wonderful :yum: 

Let us know what you choose and how you get on!  Pictures are, of course, obligatory ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2016, 09:11:03 pm »
There are some people who have both nearby (on preloved) so getting either is not a problem.
Personally I like polled ewes but we ll see  ;)
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2016, 10:34:23 am »
If you want polled what about Gotlands. Very nice natured and easy to handle and gorgeous fleece.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2016, 06:21:13 pm »
Gotland a are nice too.
Look at this picture I found:

Shetland and ouessant are my top choices.
Ouessant are so tiny! Wouldn't fox eat them???
Shetlands wouldn't have that problem?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 06:23:09 pm by macgro7 »

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2016, 08:06:34 pm »
hmm creative imaging perhaps..... The breed standard does call for adult ouessants to be under 49cm at the shoulder  ( rams) and ewes under 46cm  this does make them relatively small but in comparison to a boreray ...  I wouldn't say there is a huge amount in it.

I don't have a problem with foxes with my ouessants. I  used to watch a fox wander through the rams paddock often enough and no one was fussed so I guess that isn't a problem.
Lambs do have a habit of walking through the fencing though.....
 Faolan Mature Ouessant ram 46cm at the shoulder

Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2016, 08:17:33 pm »
Do you think I should fence the brook off for sheep keeping purposes? Or could I leave it as it's is. Well on one side I will definitely fence it of to keep babies away from water.
Would 3 foot fence be enough for shetlands or shall I do 4 foot like the other one which is already there?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2016, 08:57:41 pm »
Shetlands can jump 4ft from standing.... easily. Last year my tup lamb (!) jumped the standard fence to get in with the ladies...

The lighter the sheep the easier it can jump.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2016, 09:04:46 pm »
Wow! Maybe I should get some fatty ones then lol

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2016, 06:22:36 am »
Lol Ryelands don't jump :-)

Twotwo

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2016, 10:12:46 am »
My Dorset Downs don't jump, I keep the ewes in with three strands of elec wire. Nice fleeces as well, not too big and very docile   :love:

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2016, 06:23:58 pm »

That's a good comparison! Ouessant are tiny!!! That's a picture from a German website.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2016, 06:29:36 pm »
Is it me or is that a big Jacob??
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2016, 06:56:34 pm »
Massive jacob and tiny ouessant (young)

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2016, 08:08:49 pm »
Is it me or is that a big Jacob??

No it is a small woman!  :roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS