Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tell the difference between Mycoplasma and IB?  (Read 2308 times)

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
Tell the difference between Mycoplasma and IB?
« on: September 08, 2016, 06:11:30 pm »
Because at the moment I am unsure.  My new flock is showing plenty of symptoms of MG but not the swollen face, discharge etc.  Because they are young pullets I cant confirm the egg situation.

The rattle in chest, head shaking and the odd squark. I have removed a handful from the rest however there is def an increase of followers.

A mix of pures, cross and hybrids.  The hybrids being vaccinated. Injecting with Tylan however unsure if this is correct or how to properly confirm which aliment it is.  IB could be more catastrophic and I have continually had MG problems.  I also need to increase my numbers again - where do I stand on introducing more clean birds?

SO much for easy pasture raised birds at the moment finding it draining.

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
Re: Tell the difference between Mycoplasma and IB?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 06:23:54 pm »
I've recently had an MG outbreak in my flock for the first time and PLENTY of swollen faces and discharge from nasal cavity. I've not encountered IB before but I'd be surprised for multiple birds to have MG and you not have either of those two symptoms.

As an aside, i'd like to know about bird introduction. I gathered it was a no, no because MG birds are carriers and new stock would catch it. However, on the Poultry Club website it talks about injecting new birds with Tylan 200 - though I wouldn't think this would stop them catching it long term.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 07:39:28 pm »
Yes Im doing Tylan as a secondary infection cover.  Ive introduced 2 flocks to my existing birds and wonder if Ive infected the newbirds not the over way around as nothing was showing on the new birds.  I noticed the problem 2 days after I introduced the one flock - seeing that there were 8 pure breeds unvaccinated all of these are showing symptoms. Sadly, I think what Ive done is incorrect but I was pushed for space and need the existing birds eggs.  I assumed it would be ok but obviously not. 

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 10:49:15 pm »
For myco it's a simple blood test, costs just over £20 here (Herts) though one vet wanted about £100 for it  ::)  The test covers myco G, myco S and Marek's disease.

Tylan has worked well for treating myco G, but yes, they'll still infect the others. Having said that, mine hardly ever show symptoms because they're hardly ever stressed. I just know this group carries it because a Marek's test was done a few years ago. They've lived with it quite alright, really.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 10:12:21 am »
Very hard this problem if you lost the flok would the ground Carrie the deise as well' or just the stock .Breeding new stock I think would work .

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 08:11:29 am »
Still a few with Darth Vader symptoms but nothing else.  Spoke to vet who will pop up and do bloods but only on the pures as these were unvaccinated.  Spoke about vaccinating the few.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS