Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lameness  (Read 3411 times)

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
Lameness
« on: September 08, 2016, 11:18:49 am »
My shetland stallion, 26 yrs old, laminitis  prone, not over weight has been rocking  around on 3 legs for 8 days now .
The vet has been back and forth to evaluate the progress. ....... none !
Tried a poultice on his hoof (front leg) in case its a abscess for the last 3 days, no sign of any trauma,  nothing happening .
Not laminitis,  no damage to his leg, allows me to massage it no bother.
I am beside myself with worry because he has a problem with his back leg anyway and over compensating  because he cant put this front leg down at all is bound to give him trouble elsewhere.
Hes on bute, that makes him rest a bit. Vet said not to bring him in as may cause swelling not being mobile.
I am at a loss and so is the vet   :(  was hoping someone may have experienced something like this and could advise.
Asked about an xray but vet said would not show anything happening in the hoof.
Any advice please !

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
Re: Lameness
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 12:34:30 pm »
Any heat or pulses in the feet? Did you do a wet poultice or dry?

Would you be willing to try thermal imaging? It would show up hot spots all over and may help pinpoint the issue. If it turns out to be the foot then I'd push for a hoof x-ray - it's not very expensive and will confirm whether the issue is bone (i.e. laminitis) or not (soft tissue/ligament).

Good luck, really hope you get to the bottom of the issue.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 01:16:44 pm »
If not putting weight on it at all I'd be asking the vet to come back. Xray will pick up any fractures, gas bubbles if an abscess, rotation of the pedal bone if laminitis, etc etc Etc. If there's heat and increased pulse in one foot only with no weight bearing it sounds most like an abscess, has the vet pared the foot to look for any signs of this? Have they used hoof testers or nerve blocks to show it is definitely in the foot? Sounds to me (a mixed practice vet) like your vet should be doing a lot more, or you could always seek a second opinion from another vet, perhaps one that specializes more in horses.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 01:34:34 pm »
Id ask the opinion of an equine vet, yours sounds out of his depth

Good luck

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 03:02:35 pm »
No heat or pulse in the foot. Vet said definitely not laminitis.
I asked him is there anything at all we can use to pin point were the problem is, whether leg or hoof , hence my request for an xray.
My daughter has horses and she came home (110 mile ) to check him and  was convinced it was an abcess.
Our vet has the monopoly in both towns either side of us .
Couldnt even contemplate taking him to lnverness in the horse box, thats were the next vet is.
Still wiating for vet to return call l made at 9:15 this morning, he was doing operations.
Will ring back now  :rant:

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 04:29:25 pm »
It may be worth having your farrier look at him?

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 05:20:32 pm »
The farrier trimmed his feet 3 days before it occurred, a little too much on the front we thought but he seemed sound enough walking over the next few days ?

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 06:28:57 pm »
If this pony was mine I would take off the grass. Treat as if laminits. Pads on foot to ease the pain of walking. bute. Laminits does not always mean heat in the feet. If you think its an abcess might be worth soaking the foot in salted water then bandage wet to try and draw stuff out. This could take more than 3 days.

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 11:54:12 am »
Hes had hot poultice on for 4 days and 5 days dry padded covered hoof.
Just got him some cavello boots with gel cushions to go inside.
This morning he is putting some weight now and then on the foot  :fc:
If when we go to change the dressing it has popped, will clean the hoof with epsom salts and water in a shallow bucket.
Then put clean dressing and new boot on to keep clean and hopefully the gell pad will ease any pain.
Still having half a bute daily. Vet said to ring him monday if any change, hes convinced and his colleague that its an abscess.
Have been massaging his leg seems to enjoy it .

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 03:05:43 pm »
could it be that the problem may be in his leg/hip/knee and not his hoof at all? Is there anything stuck into his foot like a nail at all or has he had any injuries like that in the past? I would get an xray done on the leg to see if there is anything, not just the hoof. Has he done any strenuous work/excercise at all recently? When did you first notice it? Has he had any antiinflamitories at all? Sorry for all the Q's. I hope you can find a cure soon/ loctae the problem. Do keep us updated on his progress?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 07:09:00 pm »
Some abcesses take a couple of weeks to work through to the outside, daily testing might show where to dig a helping channel as it nears the surface.

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2016, 07:29:02 pm »
One of mine will generally have an abscess tracking around inside his foot for a couple of weeks before it finds somewhere to explode out - not fun for them or you  :-[  Is your farrier Robbie?  Might be worth asking him to pop by, he's quite anti-digging for them and the vets up here can sometimes be a bit quicker than he'd like to go in after them. 

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2016, 09:00:28 am »
It had popped  :excited: hes walking much better now, weight on the leg  :thumbsup:
Put another hot poultice on to draw it. Will let the vet know tomorrow.
I use Keith Hedley farriers from Lairg Caroline.
Thank you all for the advice,  so good to have so much support.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS