Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Keeping eggs  (Read 2333 times)

Ben94

• Joined Jan 2016
Keeping eggs
« on: September 06, 2016, 09:28:02 pm »
Hi guys

How long can I keep fresh eggs for? And how? Don't want to let customers down over the winter.

Thanks

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
Re: Keeping eggs
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 09:31:55 pm »
If you're selling to customers, the legal shelf life is 4 weeks. Obviously, they're not exactly 'fresh' after that length of time though. I tend to only have a one week selling period for my eggs and then remove them from sale and eat myself.

As for keeping fresh - store in a cool place but not a fridge as that reduces shelf life.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 05:18:10 pm »
Ditto, I sell eggs up to a week old with 28 days from lay (of the oldest egg if it's a mixed date box) as the best by date on the box. 

After a week I usually bring them home and use them myself, unless someone wants them knowing the date.  I've a couple of customers use them pretty much the day they buy and don't mind up to 2 week old as a result.  Others buy for dogs and again are happy with a shorter shelf life.  Def not fridge kept.

For customer demand I usually buy in or raise new pullets that will come into lay in October plus/minus a week or so.  So they're going strong by the time the older birds go into moult and/or slow down due to daylight shortage.  I've got 4 just started laying a month ago and another 10 just coming to POL now and tho half of the latter group will be sold I plan to keep the others for just that reason.
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 09:29:22 pm »
I sell eggs no more than three days old. If laying slows up I put a note in the box saying why (moult, etc.) and my customers go to the Co-op for a couple of weeks. They always come back to mine, though.

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 03:25:46 pm »
Pretty much the same for me, only sell less than a week old and say best within a month from laying.
________
Caroline

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 09:42:20 am »
How much do you charge for your eggs ?

Hen
Duck
Other

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 02:07:48 pm »
How much do you charge for your eggs ?

Hen
Duck
Other

Mine are £1.50 for half a dozen hen eggs, and £2 for 12 quail eggs. Was in the supermarket t'other day and saw their prices - might put six eggs up to £2 soonish.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS