Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Resources for Learning about Cattle  (Read 7301 times)

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Resources for Learning about Cattle
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2016, 05:48:37 pm »
Brimwood - I'm not actually saying that all Dexters are difficult to handle - just warning you that they are less reliably loveable than most other native breeds.
But as a smallholder I personally think there is a lot to be said for following your heart. So if you've always wanted a Dexter, then I'd say get one.  :excited: You're only here once, so at least try one and make your own mind up. I would suggest maybe getting a young heifer that's halter trained and at least you'd have an idea about how quiet she is. I must admit there is a certain charm about small cattle, and even when they're arguing with you they're still a lot easier to handle than a big continental. You could always have your little Dexter and keep a more commercial breed as well which you could cross her with to get a marketable calf.
 In spite of what I said about Dexters, I still have one left that I put to our Hereford bull each year. She produces a good sized calf that always fetches a decent price in the fatstock market.

Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2016, 05:52:43 pm »
Ahh, hell, don't say that [member=6533]landroverroy[/member] - I don't need more encouragement!  :excited: :excited:

It's still a loooooong way off but that means lots of time to go to shows, talk to breeders and get up close with some animals. I do like Red Polls too. I'd never considered them before, but saw some at the Suffolk Show this year and thought they looked pretty charming, and way smaller than many other breeds.

It's hard when you're starting out and have ZERO experience. But, man, it's FUN!

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2016, 06:28:20 pm »
Well you definitely seem to be going about things the right way Brimwood.
 Like they say - "Time spent in reconnaissance is never wasted." :farmer:
Rules are made:

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2016, 02:30:21 pm »
We had dexters and all except one were quiet and easy to manage. They were tb tested in a shed with no restraint, lived out all year with no concentrates and our old girl produced a calf every year with no assistance. Her last lactation she also reared two calves that weren't hers and we milked her for the house to.
We've just sent our last calf to the butchers and the old girl died last year. We are planning to replace her soon.
Plus the meat is delicious  :yum:

Chose the breed you like the most, after all your the one that has to look at it daily!

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2016, 04:43:27 pm »
[member=25947]Sbom[/member] That's really good to hear; both about their nature and the fact you managed to milk her for the house too.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2016, 02:59:35 pm »
They have a reputation for being noisy ....?

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2016, 03:30:33 pm »
Which [member=27063]Marches Farmer[/member] ....Dexters or Red Poll? Or both?!

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2016, 03:48:38 pm »
Humane Cattle Handling by Temple Grandin is a great book for understanding cattle behavior and how to handle them.

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2016, 03:55:44 pm »
That's great. Thanks [member=25668]oor wullie[/member] , I'll look it up :D Another book to add to the bedside stack!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2016, 04:46:03 pm »
Humane Cattle Handling by Temple Grandin is a great book for understanding cattle behavior and how to handle them.
On my Christmas list  :santa:

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2016, 04:54:49 pm »
I went to Amazon but couldn't fine a specific cattle one. There is, however, a livestock variant - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1603420282/

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2016, 07:55:01 pm »
They have a reputation for being noisy ....?

Presume you mean Dexters?
 I can agree with that. But it's not unsurmountable unless you have them just near your back door in which case they do have a tendency to sound off every time they see you. The worse thing you can do if this happens is to feed them to keep them quiet, because you are actually rewarding them for making a row and they get worse.
Rules are made:

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2016, 05:26:43 am »
I went to Amazon but couldn't fine a specific cattle one. There is, however, a livestock variant - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1603420282/

Ah yes, sorry I got the title wrong, that's the one.

It also talks about sheep and pigs hence the title is 'livestock' rather than 'cattle'.

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2016, 05:06:14 pm »
Sounds good to me [member=25668]oor wullie[/member] , especially as I intend to keep those too. ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS