Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Loaning out my field to a beekeeper  (Read 3028 times)

Part time dabbler

• Joined Aug 2016
  • Cornwall
Loaning out my field to a beekeeper
« on: September 05, 2016, 12:50:39 pm »
I am not in a position yet (and probably wont be for 2 to 5 years) of keeping my own bees but I have contacted my local beekeeping association and have made contact with a new beekeeper with the view of allowing him to put hives on my land hopefully in return for some honey each year.

Has anyone else participated in this sort of arrangement either lending out land or putting your hives on other peoples land? If so are there any issues I should be aware of?

Thanks
Physically part time in the garden, mentally full time in the garden

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
Re: Loaning out my field to a beekeeper
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 09:40:36 pm »
I started keeping bees this year. I have my 2 hives in a neighbours 3 acre paddock.
They let the paddock out to a neighbouring lady who has sheep.  She was asked in case she had any issues but thankfully she didn't. So with this in mind I fenced off an area roughly 4x8m with plank fencing.  It's situated against a perimeter fence line.

So far, so good.
The sheep owner is happy and the paddock owners are happy and the sheep haven't gotten into the 'apriary'.
We won't have any honey this year but hopefully next year we will have some and so some will be going to the neighbours.  A bottle of plonk will probably be given at Christmas too.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 09:48:05 pm »
I am not in a position yet (and probably wont be for 2 to 5 years) of keeping my own bees but I have contacted my local beekeeping association and have made contact with a new beekeeper with the view of allowing him to put hives on my land hopefully in return for some honey each year.

Has anyone else participated in this sort of arrangement either lending out land or putting your hives on other peoples land? If so are there any issues I should be aware of?

Thanks

This is a fairly standard way of going about it to protect yourself .
Hopefully the land in question is registered in your name at the land registry
 Get a simple home produced contract in writing saying it is your land and that he can do it for a set period .
 Also get their signed agreement that they are totally responsible for all events relating to the hives   & insurance of the hives .

You could also include being supplied with a pond a jar of honey for each hive sited  on your land  .
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 09:49:36 pm by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Part time dabbler

• Joined Aug 2016
  • Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 10:39:36 am »
Thank you for the suggestion, I had not considered a simple agreement but I will now especially as at some point I will want my own hives.
Physically part time in the garden, mentally full time in the garden

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS