Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Superb Tomatoes  (Read 2441 times)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Superb Tomatoes
« on: September 04, 2016, 08:47:50 pm »
My neighbour always gives me some Sungold tomato plants in June.   This year I planted them in the place where I've had one of those cone-shaped compost bins for a couple of years.  I've watered them twice this Summer, pinched them out for the first six weeks then let them run.  They now resemble triffids.  Planting where the compost bin was has saved me using tomato food and they're the best tasting and highest yielding tomatoes I've ever grown.

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
Re: Superb Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 09:42:33 am »
I vary which tomato varieties I grow but for some years now I always include Sungold which I find the tastiest and also prolific as MF describes.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 08:22:46 pm »
As an additional bonus some of the seeds from bits of composted commercial tomatoes have also germinated.  I now have mini plum tomatoes, beefsteak tomatoes, what appear to be Alicante ....

Sherbatious border

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 03:11:45 pm »
Well done! I've grown squashes in the compost remains and had enormous pumpkins. My Sungold always tend to split. I had an attack of blight this year, always a problem here. (The ground used to be a potato field, which might explain it) I managed to preserve most of the plants in my small polytunnel by catching it early and by use of a home made remedy using Bycarb (found on the internet) and then Bordeaux mixture, which my sister tells me is no longer licensed for sale. 

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 06:26:28 pm »
You can make your own (cheaper)  Bordeaux mixture.. Wikipedia gives the mix.. ingredients easily bought on ebay - copper sulphate and lime.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS