Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from Dorset  (Read 2090 times)

Maddie89

• Joined Sep 2016
Hello from Dorset
« on: September 04, 2016, 05:40:15 pm »
Hi everyone!  :wave:

In April my partner and I bought a house with a 2 acre paddock attached and were a bit unsure what to do with it and so made hay this summer. Now decided to keep 3-4 sheep to keep the grass trim although neither of us have previous sheep experience. I have always loved Herdwick sheep from our holidays to the lake district however having just been to the Dorset Country Show I think I may have fallen in love with the Greyface Dartmoors!

I think I need to find myself a basic sheep husbandry course so I don't feel quite so blind. What would be the best sheep to start with? Ewes with lamb at foot or shearlings? I do love the idea of having a lamb or two in the field.... Any advice would be greatly welcomed.

Maddie

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Hello from Dorset
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 08:54:02 am »
If you plan to breed, buy a few ewe lambs this year. By the time they are ready to breed next autumn, you'll all be best chums and you have a year of sheep care under your belt before you lamb.

Get Tim Tyne's The Sheep Book for Smallholders - if you can't get on a course, it will help enormously. I think there is an active smallholders group in Dorset that might eb able to help with training.

GF Dartmoors are lovely  :thumbsup:

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 12:11:35 pm »
Hello from herts,
Do you have any sheep keeping neighbours that would let you shadow them? Always useful if you know someone local with lots of knowledge.

:sheep:

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 08:59:43 am »
 :wave:
Welcome from Devon - I believe that Bramblecot is in your county and has GFDs....
No doubt you'll be able to find various local courses around - is there a Dorset smallholders' association?
And if you want to cross the boundary line we offer an 'introduction to smallholding' weekend for our BnB guests in Devon - rather bespoke since we only accommodate one couple at a time! [www.smilingsheep.co.uk]

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 01:44:22 pm »
 :wave: Hi Maddie,  I have sent you a lengthy pm.  I hope it arrives as our internet is playing up.  There's always a good turnout of GFD at Dorset Show, and also Melplash Show which is at Bridport.  You are very welcome to visit us and see our sheep.  :sheep: :love: :sheep: , but the breed chairman is not a million miles from you if you want to see top quality show animals.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 03:54:51 pm »
Hi Maddie and welcome to the forum from a  :sunshine: Ceredigion :wave: Wishing you all the best with whatever you decide and the future!
WBF
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 08:32:43 am »
Hello and welcome from Devon!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 11:04:00 pm »
 :wave: and welcome from Shropshire.

Maddie89

• Joined Sep 2016
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2016, 11:17:49 am »
Hi everyone!!
Thank you so much for taking the time to message back.
I have ordered myself the Tim Tyne book! There are lots of people around me with sheep luckily so hopefully they will prove to be friendly and good with advice! As far as I can tell there isn't a dorset smallholders association- unless any one knows otherwise?
I am currently getting my fencing sorted out a bit- and a rather large wasp nest in my field shelter- so got a bit more time to do some research. Thank you for all your suggestions!
Maddie

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS