Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Keeping animals in or out, who's responsible ?.  (Read 5297 times)

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Keeping animals in or out, who's responsible ?.
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2016, 02:25:52 pm »
That's so good of them.  :thumbsup:  Can your neighbours come and live next to me?  ;)

Celli

• Joined Jun 2016
  • Fife
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2016, 02:37:25 pm »
They are a lovely couple if you don't mind Georges singing lol

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2016, 01:12:54 am »
I'm feeling sorry for them, obviously as shocked and upset as you. :)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2016, 04:37:38 pm »
We all need more loevly neighbours like that, thankfully we have a couple of very nice neighbours :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Celli

• Joined Jun 2016
  • Fife
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2016, 05:16:17 pm »
Neighbours just been in to give me money for the killed hen and to let me know he was at the blacksmiths today to order up a swinging gate.
Be interesting to see what gets done.
Update on mauled hen Gloria Gaynor, she seems fine apart from her baldy bum.
I had continued with the new hens quaranteen ( of which she was one ) but those White Stars just don't take to confinement and as they'd already been loose with the others I let them out.
Everyone is getting along amazingly well, it's actually been the smoothest introduction I've had, and Gloria seems happier pootling about with more company, they even all went in the main coop by themselves.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2016, 06:25:17 pm »
Just for clarification it is not at all complicated, if in England , it is the animal owners responsibility to keep them under control...by fencing (normally) or whatever. This is irrespective of what fence exists and who owns it.

It's obvious really...imagine your neighbour decided to start keeping elephants...do you think you should have to pay for the fence ?!

« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 04:34:26 pm by stufe35 »

Sherbatious border

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2016, 03:27:21 pm »
you are lucky to have such good neighbours. A near neighbour of mine has Jack Russels which roam free. I caught one of the blighters in my hen run one evening after the hens had gone to bed and 3 days later 2 new young hens were taken. He admitted his dogs roam free but didn't admit any responsibility. I found the trampled grass where the dog had jumped over the stock fence, directly opposite his property, I don't think a fox would trample down the grass like that. My next door neighbours have free range hens, they buy 4 at a time and they have lost all of them, regularly, over that last few years. They lost 2 in the same week I lost mine but they don't believe the Jack Russell theory, perhaps because they have an aged Jack Russell of their own. They seem to think a 4 ft stock fence would keep a predator out and they think perhaps a local sighting of a buzzard explains their recent losses. I can't see how a buzzard would carry off two hens in one attack. They got two more hens a few weeks ago and I found the feathers that were all the remained of one of them this morning. Even though they;re not mine, it upset me because it seems such a waste of nice hens. These hens had been coming out all over the path and fields and I was keeping my dogs on leads until far from the houses, just in case. Whatever is taking them, since my losses this Spring, I now have my hens inside 'Fort Flox', a hen house, in a fruit cage, surrounded by an electric fence. I took the view that it was my responsibility to protect them as best I could. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 03:30:00 pm by Sherbatious border »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS