Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Camping on Agricultural Land  (Read 21958 times)

Sherbatious border

• Joined Aug 2016
Camping on Agricultural Land
« on: August 30, 2016, 12:33:26 pm »
Can't see anything recent about this, though I am sure it is asked a lot. We have a paddock designated as Agricultural Land, and thinking of possibly allowing camping (only tents due to poor access road) for the statutory 28 days per year you seem to be allowed without planning permission. We're basing this on friends who come to stay sometimes telling us it's so lovely and people would pay to camp there. Thinking of just basic camping, level field half a mile from the nearest road, but 4 miles from historic town centre, with nice views, hire in a portaloo, provide tap for drinking water (we have our own from a borehole and there is already a pipe on the edge of the paddock) and that's it. I am wondering, has anyone else on here done this? Did you go independent or via a club? What are the pitfalls, if you have found any? How do you work out what to charge? Would just love to hear from people who do this and find out whether they feel it works.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Camping on Agricultural Land
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 12:40:52 pm »
I think that the under the 28 day rule everyone has to be "together" such as a scout group not individual campers.  Take a look at the camping and caravanning club.  Someone close to us does camping weekends under the rule and it is groups such as hen parties, stag do, birthday parties. Our local school does it too for events.

Sherbatious border

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 03:19:08 pm »
From what I have read on camping sites, it can be any 28 days in a year, not consecutive, for you to need no planning permission for up to 5 'units'. Apparently going via a club allows them to licence it in some way and they also advertise, but we'd prefer not to have groups, we don't want to aggravate the neighbour, or cause noise issues for ourselves. You are advised to check with your local authority, but I can't get them to reply to me and given that one neighbour has been illegally developing his agricutural land for years with no action taken against him, I am guessing they don't have the time to worry about these things! All the same, I don;t want to give any mendacious neighbours (as if there could be such a thing, in the lovely countryside, ahem) ammunition, I want to be strictly legal.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 02:03:21 pm »
If you can't get your LA to reply then go to the camping and caravanning club. They will know what you can and can't do.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 03:22:35 pm »
I believe your allowed 64 days - but the break has to be after 28 - which probably wont be policed unless a nieghbour complains.

I know if its a motorsport it only allowed for 28 days in the year.

We ran our campsite for years under these rules - but then again they had problems with people wildcamping so we solved a problem for them.

You can join the camping and caravan club which will allow you both caravans and camping - but I dont think they will let you join with a portaloo these days - think you will need tpas, sinks and disposal area - which would run into tens of thousands.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 03:25:14 pm »
I would just go for it - on a small scale it should cause no problems and your bringing in peopleto shop at local business and attractions.  Somertimes the council cant see it that way - but any visitors to an area is a good thing isnt it.  Share the space and they share the wealth.  Its a win win situation as long as your not getting on neighbours nerves.

watty watt

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 09:16:41 pm »
The rules are different in Scotland. Some better, some worse. You may need four wcs, depending what you want to do. The good news is that they can be compost now. We are having difficulty because it seems one can't do tents only on a certificated location thro the clubs. So good luck. First check the CCC website and download the guidance notes for applicants. It's easy to find.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 10:21:48 am »
have you priced the porta-loo?
it was prohibitedly expensive when we got a quote

Sherbatious border

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 08:27:01 pm »
I got a single portaloo for a month this year for £155, including one service. (I had two parties with friends camping, one at either end of the month!) Obviously it would need more regular servicing with more use.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 07:19:04 am »
you would have to have a lot of  campers to just pay for the loo....is it worth the agro?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2016, 10:39:03 pm »
If you have a house with a good old downstairs loo by the kitchen - you could give them the keys to the back door :)

The one thing I have found with running a campsite is - people create alot of shite - every rubbish bag is 2 quid when your over quota for residential.  You can't let people empty chemical toilets in your 'tank' cos it will fook it up.

I would maybe setup a nice 'dwelling' (anything from yurt to shepards hut) - put it in your garden - tart it up and selll in on airbnb

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2016, 10:46:39 am »
I got a single portaloo for a month this year for £155, including one service. (I had two parties with friends camping, one at either end of the month!) Obviously it would need more regular servicing with more use.

I have rented a potaloo this summer for our campers. It costs £22/week including cleaning and emptying once a week and it's been kept spotless.
 Our first month's charge was something similar to yours but it included transport to bring it and take away at the end.
(And I haven't applied for planning! If the council show an interest it's hardly a hanging offence and easy enough to send the portaloo back and take no more campers - till next year. :innocent: )
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 10:51:24 am by landroverroy »
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2016, 10:57:06 am »
composting loo is the way forward....

Build it yourself and pay nothing to maintain it

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2016, 03:42:32 pm »
 Definitely another possibly :thumbsup:
 And presumably would fit in well with the ethics of those who like "wild" camping.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2016, 07:58:55 pm »
I could write loads on this subject but lots of people have muddied the water so I see no point at this stage.
All I will say is if you wish your campers to use your borehole water it has to be tested cost is £101 a month.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS