Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Surprise Hedgehog  (Read 2982 times)

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
Surprise Hedgehog
« on: August 30, 2016, 10:33:19 am »
So after the disaster that was my Vegetable garden I decided to rearrange my raised planters. I had just moved one of the small beds and there it was.  :o

It took a second for my brain to register what I was looking at  and then I jumped out of my skin. Hiding under my planter and half covered in dirt was a fat little hedgehog. It must of been loving life as we have been having a massive snail problem this year. There have been hundreds in my little garden.

So I packed him/her up into a cardboard box and took him to a small little wooded area close by with a couple of snails as a goodbye snack.

I was a little worried for it as it had paint on its spikes. probably from next doors newly painted fence. I have no idea how long it has been in my garden but I hope I have sent it off well.

What wildlife have you discovered in your area?

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
Re: Surprise Hedgehog
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 11:06:46 am »
I have a frog that lives in my hen house, and one day, when getting compost out of a bag I inadvertently grabbed a toad that had set up home in there! I am not sure who was more surprised!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 11:14:21 am »
We have a toad which lives in our garden and keeps coming back to the house area. Why did you take it away from the garden? Hedgehogs are very good for the garden in that they keep down pests. I was however speaking to someone who is an expert  ijn the hedgehog field and they said that you musn't feed hedgehogs snails or slugs as they can make them ill.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 12:02:32 pm »
Why did you move him? He had shelter and a food source. I'd be chuffed to have a resident hedgehog.

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 12:46:31 pm »
Why did you move him out of the garden?
I applied to have be a release site for a hedgehog (yes, you can do that!). I met all of the criteria, but never heard anything. This has reminded me to investigate this again. If anyone else doesn't want a hedgehog in their garden, they can send him my way  ;D
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 01:07:28 pm »
We have hedgehogs here, sometimes in the garden, sometimes in the hay store (they like to hibernate under the pallets with hay stacked on)   We can tell when there's a hedgehog around because the dogs go crazy.  All they end up with is spiked noses and the hedgehog toddles off once they've gone.
We call them Tiggies, from Mrs Tiggywinkle.
I think you'll find Alex that yours will reappear, unless you relocated it too far away.  They push under fences and can climb drystone walls. Your garden must be just right for him or he wouldn't visit.  He will have a range, which will include other gardens and any woodland close by, so he's not only yours.
Tiggies are wonderful little creatures, so I hope when he comes back you'll leave him be.  If you have a woodpile, or a heap of composting leaves, he may well hibernate in there, so be careful through the winter not to disturb him, as that can be enough to kill him.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 01:10:10 pm »
Agreeing all the positive things about Tiggies (as shall henceforth call them, too  :love:) - but just so's people are aware... Tiggies have their dark side.  The ones that nest in our hay store steal and eat our newly hatched chicks  :'(
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 01:22:22 pm »
I moved the little guy because of the redesign of the grow beds. There was a little gap between two containers with one being slightly raised (I am amazed that he fitted under) but the space for this container is quite open now, so not a good hidey hole.

I didn't know that they had such a large area. He is welcome for a flyby visit to eat some of the nasties that have been eating my veggies  :D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 01:40:02 pm »
Agreeing all the positive things about Tiggies (as shall henceforth call them, too  :love:) - but just so's people are aware... Tiggies have their dark side.  The ones that nest in our hay store steal and eat our newly hatched chicks  :'(

And of course in the Outer Isles they are responsible for demolishing the nests of ground nesting birds, to the extent that they are being removed from the Isles - in so far as anyone can catch every Tiggy around.

And they carry fleas  :o

But overall they are wonderful wee beasties.

I'm glad you'll welcome him back when he pays a visit Alex  :thumbsup:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 01:54:31 pm »
I would love to have a hedgehog in my veg patch, needs to be away from the dogs though. Might have to sign up as a rehoming site  :excited:
________
Caroline

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 04:12:25 pm »
We are a release site for a local Hedgehog rescue and have over wintered some young hogs before release the following spring.

They can travel over 2 miles each evening so your hog might well return and find a new spot to hide in your garden.

They aren't really wood dwellers though they like hedgerows .... Hence the name I suppose.

They eat 'bugs' and only take slugs and snails if there is not too much food available. They are not good for hogs, carrying parasites like fluke, and so are last on their list of nibbles.

You can encourage them into your garden by feeding cat food and water. Never milk as they are lactose intolerant.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 10:46:27 pm »
Turning into our drive the other night hubby had to stop as there was a hedgehog coming out of our drive and crossing the road. We were very happy as we hadn't thought we had any.

We've got a few frogs living in the polytunnel and field. A lovely barn owl does a sweep of our field each evening. It isn't keen on us though as if we are spotted it does a sharp u-turn. We also saw a road kill badger along the main road edge of our land, that was another surprise.

Being a city kid moving here has been a wonderful change, last summer I saw my first dragon fly and I love seeing them buzz around the garden. I got the fright of my life when I went to the polytunnel one evening and saw two privet hawk moths resting on the side. They are huge!

Interesting to ready about the hedgehogs and slugs/snails. Was hoping our visitor would help us out!

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS