Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Need Abattoir down south anyrecommendations  (Read 2634 times)

Angeleyes2009

• Joined Aug 2016
Need Abattoir down south anyrecommendations
« on: August 29, 2016, 06:54:08 pm »
Hello
       This year decided to get some Tamworth weaners for the freezer . Living on the Isle of wight we dont have an abattoir,I could send them off with all the other pigs over here but would rather take them myself ,making their journey less stressful, need abattoir recommendations down south please as new to this .Also how long are pigs hung before you collect them   

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: Need Abattoir down south anyrecommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 02:08:59 pm »
Down South is a bit vague as there are so many, is there a specific area you are looking in?

Best to have a look on this topic which has the good abbatoir guide and will be a good starting point.
________
Caroline

Angeleyes2009

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 04:38:38 pm »
Sorry should of said nearest to portsmouth, southampton , Lymington thats where the ferrys dock so dorset sailsbury way i quess dont want to travel too far , as want as little stress as possible

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 09:13:48 pm »
If you could make it half way up the M3, all on the motorway except for the last 20 minutes, Laverstoke abbatoir is brilliant - we used it for our Tamworth and Saddleback pigs for 5 years and they were always treated with the utmost care and respect (abbatoir contact details in the Good Abbatoir guide, on this forum).   We travelled from Hayling Island, near Portsmouth, and from the M27/M3 junction the journey takes only 50 to 60 minutes.   However, I believe there are good abbatoirs in Dorset as well, so this might be easier for you.   The main problem you might have travelling from the Isle of Wight is that almost all abbatoirs, including Laverstoke, like you to get there before 8.30 am.

Angeleyes2009

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 08:00:33 pm »
We only have two pigs will Lavistock take only two? this was my 1st choice but thought they take 5 as minimum

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 10:20:08 pm »
They will take any number, including just one. 

Angeleyes2009

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 11:22:59 am »
They will take any number, including just one.
Just phoned them said they closed 18 months ago

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 02:09:06 pm »
Well blow me down with a feather - no idea they had changed their policy until I just searched the internet to find out the reason - as a result of your last post.   What a great pity - they really used to be wonderful, and never complained about the paperwork in the old days - my last few pigs went at the end of 2013.   Sorry then I can't help you at all, but I do believe there is one near Salisbury, even though I don't know anything about it as we only ever used Laverstoke.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS