Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Misread the scales - too much sugar in jam  (Read 6675 times)

wayfarer

• Joined May 2013
Misread the scales - too much sugar in jam
« on: August 28, 2016, 05:26:05 pm »
I usually use same weights of fruit and sugar to make jam but yesterday misread the scales and added 2kg of sugar to just over 2lb of plums.  Whilst it has set OK it is rather too sweet - can I use some more fruit and then add this to the existing jam and boil until setting point is reached again?  I have had to do this when I haven't achieved a set due to too little pectin and added extra lemons but never because I have added way too much sugar :-(

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Misread the scales - too much sugar in jam
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 12:22:19 pm »
No idea, but try it and see. It will either come out right or you will have a sauce for sponge pudding and custard for months to come!

wayfarer

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 07:46:26 pm »
It worked  :excited:  I chopped the extra plums and cooked them until soft and then added the very stiff jam with too much sugar and gently melted that.  It reached a new setting point almost immediately and looks and tastes much better.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 12:50:10 am »
It worked  :excited:  I chopped the extra plums and cooked them until soft and then added the very stiff jam with too much sugar and gently melted that.  It reached a new setting point almost immediately and looks and tastes much better.

Brilliant - a tip for us all  :trophy:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS