Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Natural hatching...  (Read 2076 times)

DenisCooper

• Joined May 2016
Natural hatching...
« on: August 28, 2016, 03:16:12 pm »
Hello all,

one of my hens has gone broody and has been sat on her eggs for around 14 days now. She's outside in her coop in the nesting box.

I've read quite a bit on hatching eggs, but most articles i've read are about using an incubator and brooder... since she is sat on them i've left her to her own devices.

What do i need to do when (if) any of the eggs hatch...do i need a heat lamp in the coop? Should i bring them in once they hatched?

Thanks in advance for the advice and tips :)

Denis

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Natural hatching...
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 03:58:07 pm »
You don't need to do anything as mum will do it all. Just make sure you put out chick crumb for the chicks to start with and a drinker that they can't fall into.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 04:18:30 pm »
I start them off with chick crumbs in a saucer (need to keep topping it up as Mum will be very hungry) and water in a similar sized shallow dish.  If they've a safe run Mum will take care of everything for you.  Once she's appeared outside with her chicks for a couple of days I collect the broken eggshells and any unhatched eggs from inside, to keep the nest area clean.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 06:02:57 pm »
Just remember chicks can get out of the tiniest of gaps. And definitely add marbles to the chicks' water.

I would either move them into a broody coop asap, or on day 20 block off the nest box and temporarily give the other hens another nest box so that the chicks can hatch without the other hens getting to them, then move them after another day.

DenisCooper

• Joined May 2016
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 09:12:35 pm »
okay great thanks for the tips...i wasn't sure if i needed to do anything else - just seemed too simple :)

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 07:28:51 am »
A broody coop is about the same as a rabbit hutch. Essentially it is all on ground level so the chicks can get in and out with the mother. Important the run is secure so the mesh size should be 12mm maximum. The danger to chicks outside is rats. It also needs to be covered to avoid them getting wet or overheating in the sun.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS