Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Packaging sausages  (Read 1826 times)

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
  • Shropshire / N Wales Border
Packaging sausages
« on: August 27, 2016, 09:58:40 pm »
Apologies in advance if I have posted this on the wrong board.
We make and sell sausages from our pigs ( v small scale) and have been thinking about the packaging. For a while we packed in trays and over wrapped but following feedback from our customers we have gone back to plastic bags. Customers prefer them as they pack better in their freezers. However we want to be a bit more sophisticated than plain bags. I have looked into custom printed bags but they are tricky to source and for our small quantity v expensive. So now I am thinking about custom printed freezer proof labels.
Can I ask what the rest of you do please?   Plain bags /  printed bags / trays etc etc??
I should add that we also need to be able to distinguish between gluten free, regular and spicy
Thanks!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Packaging sausages
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 09:04:14 am »
I agree with bags for easier freezing plus you haven't got a tray to dispose of. What do you do know for labelling? As you are selling to the public you must label already?

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 10:25:10 am »
Currently we are selling to family only and give away a few. Labelling is hand written on labels that have proved to be not fit for purpose. As we now want to make some gf we want to be super sure we can tell the difference
As I said we are very small scale

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 10:34:16 am »
Why not use different colour bag ties? Take a look at Lakeland Plastics under food storage.

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 10:55:05 am »
That's a really good idea. Thank you!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS