Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding this years hay  (Read 3497 times)

Goats!!!

• Joined Aug 2016
Feeding this years hay
« on: August 26, 2016, 10:02:49 pm »
Hi, we are new to goats, we have four kids two Toggenburg cross Saanan and two Angoras all between Five and six months. The Angorsas I feel need feeding up a bit before winter sets in.  They get a mix ration plus hay at night and out on grass during the day? The two Toggenburgs eat the hay and are bigger than the Angoras who don't seem interested in the hay which is last years and not brilliant, we have some nice hay cut about three weeks ago, there doesn't seem to be any heat in it, but not sure if it can be feed yet, I am used to feeding a horse so used to not feeding this years hay for about three months. Also can you feed goats a chop, Hi Fi or ready grass for example. Can feeding to much mix course the runs? As one of the Angoras is a bit loose at the moment.
Thanks

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Feeding this years hay
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 10:55:08 am »
Your Togg crosses will be bigger than the Angoras as they are a much bigger breed. You can feed readigrass but if one is loose have you done a FEC to check for worms?
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Goats!!!

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 11:59:41 am »
Thanks for the reply, the two Angoras were wormed in June according to the person we got them from,  but if he doesn't clear up will get a worm count done, he seems fine in himself. Will try them on ready grass.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 12:30:14 pm »
I'm not sure what you mean by too much coarse mix. Mine would get 0.5Kg and I wouldn't expect twice that to course scouring. If they are not thriving and one is loose then worth getting a Cocci check in addition to FEC. Mine were wormed end of June and I have just sent in samples for a new count.  Goats are far more susceptible to worms then sheep so always worth checking this before anything less common.

The other consideration is whether you segregate them when they are given the mix. I always have a problem with one goat being pushed out/ eating more slowly and have to give him/ her more.

Goats!!!

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 01:51:09 pm »
They aren't getting a lot of course mix, but a friend said her calfs get the runs if they are given too much mix, they are very young though, so I just wondered if it could be the same for goats. I will contact the vet if he doesn't improve. We have only had the Angoras about two weeks, the toggs a couple of months and their droppings were also a bit soft when we first got them, so I guess moving them to new pasture etc could also upset them a bit maybe, they are fine now.
How soon do people feed this years hay?

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 03:41:07 pm »
I do my own hay so it depends on what I have left. The last few years it has been well into the year but there have been years when it has been only a few weeks old if I have run out. In those cases I have aimed to switch slowly, that is feed half old half new for a couple of weeks and of course check there is no fermenting going on.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 11:26:05 pm »
 Hi Pharnorth -

1. Yes you can feed this year's hay; and if it's good stuff then you should find that your angoras eat it more readily, instead of concentrates. This then should help dry up the one that has the runs.

2. Yes, too much concentrates certainly can cause the runs in goats, or indeed in any ruminant. This is because an excess of concentrates encourages the wrong sort of bacteria to take over in the rumen, thus causing diahorrea. It can lead to enterotoxaemia and death, as the bad bacteria completely take over and release toxins that kill the animal.     
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 08:02:40 am »
I've got dairy and angora goats and they are almost different species.
Sounds like a good idea to get FEC and cocci count done,
Have you looked at the BAGS website there's lots of leaflets you can download. Also Welsh and wes angora goat club, you can join even if you're in another area, they've a facebook page and lots of knowledge.
Angoras need to be well fed and high mineral supplement.

Goats!!!

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 11:05:25 pm »
Thanks for the replies, they are getting a sheep mix at the moment as this was what we were advised to feed the toggs, but as I said not much, the one with the runs is ok now, only lasted a couple of days. There are plenty of trees for them to browse, and we pick browse from the hedgerow for them to have at night as well as their hay which is in a hay rack. I will introduce the new hay gradually and hopefully the angoras will eat a bit more of it.
We are on the Wales Shropshire borders so will investigate the clubs and Facebook page.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 04:44:27 am »
I'm near Llanidloes so if you want to get in touch and maybe visit send me a pm.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 11:08:35 am »
Some trees will give them the runs, i think Ash gave mine problems, or have you turned them on to some fresh, rich grass? Or if they aren't eating the hay before turning out, wet grass could give them runs.
I have always believed you should leave new hay for 6 weeks before using. Do you know any horsey people who are feeding good haylage? Might be worth seeing if you can buy a bit for a few weeks. Mine preferred haylage during winter, but it was nice dryish stuff. Don't use it fast enough during summer.
Mine get a mix of ewe and beef nuts, milker gets ewe and dairy nuts, sometimes goat mix, sometimes ewe mix, i likebana to give them a bit of a change, the kids seem to prefer beef nuts to goat Mix!

Goats!!!

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 09:09:12 pm »
Many thanks Dogwalker, I will.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2016, 11:12:05 pm »
And I'm in Shropshire so also fairly near if you fancy a visit.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS