Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First sheep advice please  (Read 5875 times)

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: First sheep advice please
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2016, 07:55:34 pm »
I've found my Ryelands live up to their reputation of being easy to manage and lamb well. Not had Shetlands but have worked with Hebs. They behave rather differently to the Ryelands but all nice sheep. But then aren't all sheep nice?........

marka

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Moray, NE Scotland
  • www.facebook.com/WellsideCroft
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2016, 09:29:07 am »
Hi there, we are not far from you in Keith and we have a small flock of Castlemilk Moorits who have proved to be really low maintenance.

They have lambed outdoors ( although last year we brought them all in for a change as the cows were out of the barn ), they have really good feet, they've not been prone to illness, hardy in the winter and they seem to do well on poor grazing. They also mix well with our horses if we need them to share a field.

Obviously we are biased though  ;D

If you want to come and have a look, just drop me a pm.

Regards

Mark
Castlemilk Moorit sheep and Belted Galloway cattle, plus other hangers on.

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2016, 02:16:49 pm »
At one point we finished pigs and lambs for the Traditional Breeds Meat Marketing Scheme (set up by the RBST to provide an outlet for native breeds).  One of the senior chaps there swore that Portlands tasted best, followed by Southdowns.
James Martin had portlands on his home comforts program said they was delicious as mutton
follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

animalcrackers

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2016, 07:55:07 pm »
i have shetlands and live  near huntly if you would like to come and see some. I also keep a commercial flock.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS