Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bluetongue advice  (Read 4771 times)

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
Bluetongue advice
« on: August 26, 2016, 09:43:20 am »
Just wondered what advice people were getting from their vets regarding vaccination against bluetongue. I'm in the north midlands and my vets were saying not to bother about vaccination yet as it wasn't in this country yet. But I thought it took about 6 weeks for the sheep to get total immunity from 2 jabs. I'm thinking of doing my sheep anyway and  wondered if  there any side effects to the vaccine that anyone has noticed if they've used the vaccine? Thank you.
4 pet sheep

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Bluetongue advice
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 09:58:39 am »
Bluetongue is a notifiable disease and there have been no reports of it in the UK as far as I know.  It's been spreading slowly but steadily up through France over the last year.  I have a pedigree flock of Southdowns, meticulously recorded and problems culled out for five generations, so every animal is irreplaceable and for me vaccination is a no-brainer.  It's two subcutaneous 2ml jabs, three weeks apart, and it's effective three weeks after that.  I saw no adverse reactions when I vaccinated a few years ago and haven't seen any after the first jab I gave mine last week.  It shouldn't be used on lambs under 2.5 months old.  The thing that concerns me is that, given the speed with which midges can spread on the wind, the disease could arrive here in the Marches before beasts in the SE of England have even begun to show any symptoms.

Last year we saw several species of butterflies at this time of year which only breed in Europe, so we know insects rom Europe can get this far.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 12:08:35 pm »
Map of current situation in France  the white border at the top of departments unaffected has not changed since the  autumn  2015 ie no cases further north that the blue dots indicated. There is a buffer zone beyond confirmed cases ( orange zone) and then the white zone which is BTV free.

My concerns are that undoubtedly BTV vaccinnation affected some males fertility last time around ( there is a link to a low grade fever following vaccination) so it makes sense for me to vaccinate now rather than at a later date to ensure sperm counts have time to get back to normal. That said i am in dept  22 and in the minority, people here are not vaccinating as a rule and you have to request special permision to vaccinate....

oops with link included this time !
http://agriculture.gouv.fr/liste-des-departements-et-des-communes-classes-en-zone-reglementee-fco
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 04:26:04 pm »
My vet is aiming to co-ordinate vaccinations among the small flock keepers on their books, He strongly feels we should vaccinate and is doing his own sheep.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 01:03:51 pm »
Decided to be safe and phoned this morning to order vaccine.  Our vets are NOT recommending at the moment and have told me to wait :-\ !  The vets at the practice keep sheep themselves and are experienced  farm vets.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 03:11:44 pm »
I look upon vaccination as insurance.  It's expensive and a nuisance but when you need it you really need it!  I personally am not inclined to risk saying  "If Only I'd ...." with the health of the flock.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 04:40:33 pm »
map hasn't changed. still a broad zone across the top of france that is not affected.  My flock is now protected but the only way to be sure from now on is to continue to vaccinate can't see it going away anytime soon.   :(

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 07:11:03 pm »

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 09:08:20 am »
I heard recently that a dairy farmer wanting to stock his new milking parlour straight away, rather than wait to breed his own replacements, imported some Friesians from Germany, which came with a clean bill of health from the German veterinary services.  When they were tested on arrival 40% were carrying Bluetongue and therefore culled.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2016, 09:29:34 am »
Really? I wasn't aware that there was blue tongue in Germany? Did they test for the virus or the antibodies?  I have recently exported from France to the UK.  Needless to say the test for Blue tongue virus performed  on arrival in the UK was negative..
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 09:32:44 am by kanisha »

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2016, 02:53:06 pm »
Don't know whether it was active virus or antibodies, but either way a very expensive set of cattle.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2016, 02:59:51 pm »
Don't know whether it was active virus or antibodies, but either way a very expensive set of cattle.
That is horrific for him, it is so sad isn't it? Its a pity he never decided to go into buffalo farming, as of yet there has never ever been a case of blue tongue in buffalo. I think it may have something to do with their thick hide, however I am not saying they can't get it, because no one really knows just yet, or so they say, just much lower risk.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2016, 03:00:24 pm »
antibodies is most likely to be due to vaccination and can be differentiated from active virus infection. Can't find any indication for active blue tongue virus infection in Germany.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2016, 03:01:22 pm »
antibodies is most likely to be due to vaccination and can be differentiated from active virus infection. Can't find any indication for active blue tongue virus infection in Germany.
couldn't they have picked it up on the way over?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2016, 03:04:56 pm »
Nope either they travelled through areas  with no active infection or they were required to be vaccinated if  travelling through a controlled area. There would be no point travelling through an infected area if they came from outside one.

If it was as a result of vaccination then they would have a case to claim compensation against the authorities for unnecssary destruction of their cattle. I suspect however its just hearsay, the details don't add up.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS